S.E. Hinton "The Outsiders"

"If you have two friends in your lifetime, you're lucky. If you have one good friend, you're more than lucky."

"I lie to myself all the time. But I never believe me."

"You get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothin' can touch you..."

"They grew up on the outside of society. They weren't looking for a fight. They were looking to belong."

"Can you see the sunset real good on the West side? You can see it on the East side too."

"It's okay. We aren't in the same class. Just don't forget that some of us watch the sunset too."

"I am a greaser. I am a JD and a hood. I blacken the name of our fair city. I beat up people. I rob gas stations. I am a menace to society. Man do I have fun!"

"Things were rough all over, but it was better that way. That way you could tell the other guy was human too."

"He died violent and young and desperate, just like we all knew he'd die someday."

"Nothing sparkly can stay."

"There isn't any real good reason for fighting except self-defense."

"You still have a lot of time to make yourself be what you want. There's still lots of good in the world. Tell Dally. I don't think he knows."

"You know a guy a longtime, and I mean really know him, you don't get used to the idea that he's dead just overnight."

"I don't know why I go to school unless for kicks, oh well might as well do dissect a frog."

"Get smart and nothing can touch you."

"I'd rather have anybody's hate than their pity."

"You still have a lot of time to make yourself be what you want. There's still lots of good in the world. Tell Dally. I don't think he knows."

"They weren't looking for a fight, they were looking to fit in."

"If we don't have each other, we don't have anything."

"You know the rules. No jazz before a rumble."

"If you want to see something funny, it's a tough hood sticking his tongue out at his big brother."

"There was a silent moment when everything held its breath, and then the sun rose."

"We're almost as close as brothers; when you grow up in a tight-knit neighborhood like ours you get to know each other real well."