05 - Newbies

"Charles?" I put the empty box on the table and tilt my head to take a good look at the hallway. Seconds later, I see his shadow ascending the stairs.

   He approaches me and looks around the bedroom, "Would ya look at that?" he snickers, "you did the bedroom so well!"

   I roll my eyes, "Yeah. I did such a great job." 

"What?" he looks at me and smirks, "You said you'd help, instead you went downstairs watching whatever."

"I was staying tuned to CNN."

I nod, "Any news about Eastwood?" I look at him while keeping myself busy, unpacking.

   Charles slides his hand smoothly inside his pocket as he responds to me calmly, "Yeah, they're freaking out. Calling it tragic."

   "If only people knew how much of a bullshit that is." I sneer, "The man orders a bunch of strangers to torture and slaughter other strangers."

Charles grabs a box, "In other news," he starts unpacking as well without finishing his sentence.

   I watch him take out wires from the box, then he untangles them, "Isn't this supposed to go with the toolbox?"

   My eyes quickly glance at his eyes, trying to fight the urge to watch his hands work on the wires. "Oh, no. They're for the tv." I point at the knotted wires peering at the back of our newly-set up television.

   I watch as Charles slowly approach me, his fingers playing with the wires. I look away and continue unpacking the towels. "...or," he starts, "Maybe it could work with something else?"

He's smirking at me. This fucking man is giving me chills. Look up at him, Meg.

"After we unpack, you can do whatever you want with that thing." I smirk at him,

He shakes his head 'no', "What if I said..I want to do it now?"

We both pause as we stare at each other. I could feel it, the tension building up. He wants me at this moment, more than I've ever wanted him. He doesn't know how often I dreamed of him on me...inside me. I slowly reach out to kiss him. He kisses me deeply, and I allow him to pull me closer.

That's it. I'm giving in. This is it. At this moment. I want him to take me.

"Charles..." I whisper, "I--" just at that moment, I hear the doorbell ring.

His head drops low, "Fucking he--"

I kiss him quick then pull away, "We do it later. Alright?" I smile and he sighs in disbelief.

I can't believe it. I thought that was it.

* * *

   "Are you expecting anyone?" I ask him as we both descend the stairs. He looks at me intently, "Sure. I invited a couple of neighbors to surprise us as newbies in town."

I shake off his sarcasm. "I don't think the police could trace us so, there's nothing to worry about, right?"

"Just play it safe like you always do." Charles reminds me while he lifts a portion of his shirt revealing a pistol, "I got you."

I nod and put on a fake smile, "How may I help--" I open the door and see a couple standing in front of me.

The couple greet us both with a wide grin as the woman is holding some kind of dish. But their grins slowly disappear into a faint smile when they see us, "Oh. Well hello."

"..Hi." I managed a response. Who are these people?

The woman chuckles, "I'm Mary, this is my husband, Joe." She chuckles again, "We thought you guys would be older."

"Oh." I chuckle.

Mary smiles, "We just thought we'd come over to greet the new couple and welcome them to the neighborhood."

I glance at Charles and see him scowling at the sight of these two clowns. He sees me looking and suddenly gives me, and the couple a fake smile. "Umm, that's very thoughtful of you two, Mary. Thank you."

"Yes, yes." She chuckles once more, "We just figured we'd stay in touch since this is a very small neighborhood...and there are like only 5 of us in this large street." She laughs at her own joke.

This is pain for Charles, I can feel it. 

"Well, thank you again. This was a pleasant surprise."

"Thanks," finally, Charles spoke up.

Joe speaks up as well, "We are having a dinner party tonight, actually. It's my wife's special day."

"Ohhh," Mary giggles and nods sheepishly, "Maybe you'd like to join us?"

"I'd be happy to get to know you two young ones!" Mary says,

I look at Charles, he's still smiling. Probably killing them both in his head. "That would be great but--"

"Oh, great! We cannot wait to see you both around."

"Actually--we're both busy unpacking."

"Oh do you need some help with that?"

Do I really want these people inside our house, or would I rather spend an hour in theirs and try to fight the urge to kill them?

"No!" Charles snaps, I clear my throat. "Actually, we'd love to come."

"Oh, goodie! 8pm then," Joe grins, "We'll see you both."

Charles and I nod with a smile, hoping the couple would leave the fucking porch already. I feel like tensing beside me.

Once both of them start walking at the pathway, I slam the door. And soon enough, Charles cusses, "Jesus fucking christ, what was that?"

"Never make wild guesses like that ever again."

"Baby, I am not going to that fucking party."

I furrow my eyebrows, "But you just agreed to them?"

He shrugs and aggressively shakes his head, "Well do you want them skipping inside our house?"

I sigh in frustration, "Fuck" and ascend the stairs.