Chapter 16

Masky had gone silent for hours after the incident. The two of you had left town, and he drove the stolen car in complete silence. You'd wanted to ask questions.

I mean, of course you did. You'd been chased by a strange, psychotic boy, and Masky had said nothing about it. He was completely silent, and you hated it.

Finally, you gathered your courage and broke the screeching silence. "Masky... Who was that boy?" You asked. His shoulders visibly stiffened, and his gaze never dropped from the road ahead. "Masky..." You said again, this time slower. "Who was that boy...?" You asked slowly, looking at him.

Masky was completely silent for few moments, not looking at you. "Jeff." He finally spoke. "Jeff the Killer..." He repeated, much quieter than before. "He'll tell everyone..." He gripped the steering wheel so tight, his knuckles had begun to turn white.

You reached out, lightly touching his hand. His grip loosened, and his shoulders slumped slightly. "Who?" You asked. "Who will he tell?" He pulled the car over, and dropped his hands at his sides. He looked down. "The others... The boss... They'll come to kill you, (Y/n)..." He growled at himself, slamming his hand into the steering wheel. "This is all my fault!" He shouted, shaking the car. "I should have just killed you while I had the chance!"

Your eyes widened, and you looked at him in shock. Masky realized what he'd said, and his head rose to look at you. You immediately moved away once he reached out to touch you. "G-Get away from me..." You said, whimpering slightly. "I-I wish mom never died!" You yelled. "Then I wouldn't have met you, and I wouldn't be in this whole mess!"

Masky flinched at your voice. He didn't hesitate to lean over the seat. You tried to push him away. He pinned your wrists against the door, and your eyes widened. He looked you in the eyes. "I didn't mean it..." He said, voice low and deep.

You shuddered, feeling his breath on your face. "Y-You want to k-kill me..." You whimpered, feeling pathetic. "No... if I wanted to kill you, you'd have been dead weeks ago...."

You wanted to move away, realizing that you'd actually allowed yourself to trust a dangerous killer. You'd nearly forgotten that he would have killed you, in that hospital. But then again, you also remembered that he'd saved you multiple times, starting with saving you from James.

Your struggling ceased, and you simply gazed back at Masky, making no more movements to get away. He sighed, moving away and carefully releasing you. You didn't run. "I'm sorry, Doll..." He finally broke the silence, no longer looking at you. He sounded so sincere.

Masky sighed, returning back to his seat, and looking up at the ceiling of the car. "I'm an asshole. I screwed up. I should have just left you alone, in that hospital. Or, killing you right then and there would have made this easier on you." He sighed, rubbing his temple. "I don't know why I didn't. I couldn't. You were helpless, and you'd just lost everything important to you..."

Masky's shoulders slumped slightly as you reached out and lightly touched his arm. He continued. "I guess we can both relate to that... I lost my family and my best friend... I guess I couldn't force myself to take the life of someone who seemed just like me..." His deep voice had gone much quieter now. "I'm sorry, (Y/n... For getting you into this mess...."

It seemed weird to have Masky calling you by your real name. Usually it was 'Doll' or 'Sweetheart'. You knew he was serious when he called you by your name. So, you sighed, and leaned over, lightly kissing his cheek. "It's alright... I don't plan on leaving you anytime soon..." You said softly. He looked at you, cheeks becoming dusted in pink. Then, he smiled. "Yeah, me neither, Doll."