Girl Meets Sister

"You ready?" Riley asked as she linked arms with Maya, leading her into Maya's apartment.

"I'm ready." Maya said, pursing her lips.

Riley shut the door and turned to face her other four friends. She smiled at them and led them back to her apartment.

"Do you think she will be okay?" Smackle asked Farkle.

"I hope." Farkle replied.

"Hope is good." chimed Riley.

For the next few hours, they all stared at each other with a few words in between, which seems to be a common theme lately.

"Hi." Maya muttered. She was frightened, but she was ready.

Standing in front of her was a girl with Maya's hair, lips, eyes, and eyebrows. She appeared a bit thinner than Maya, likely because she was ten inches taller.

"Hi, Maya."

"Anna, this was a bad decision."

"I know. There's no turning back."

"Okay", Maya bit her lip, "tell me about yourself."

"Annalise Cordelia Bradley-Angona, born July 21, 2003. I'm love my parents and my siblings more than anything in the world. I'll tell you more, can we move somewhere more comfortable?"

"I know just the place."

The two girls walked into the Matthews' apartment, and the whole dynamic seemed odd to Anna.

"Out!" Maya yelled. Anna put her head down in shame, as this wasn't something she wanted people that she didn't know to think of her as.

"Maya, this isn't your house." Cory reminded. "Nice to meet you, Anna."
Anna gave Cory the smile that white people give when they pass a black person on the street.

"Riley, can I pwetty pwease borrow your Bay Window?"

"Of course, peaches! Mom, can we eat somewhere else?"

"Ok, Riley. This seems urgent, call me when we can come back to the apartment that we pay for."

"Thanks, Topanga, you're the best!" Maya cheered.

The two girls ran up to the Bay Window.

"So, tell me about your family. What's it like being adopted?" Maya asked.

"Uh, I have a mom named Paige and another mom named Alex. My eldest sister is Claire, then my brother Harry, then me, then my other brother Duke, and my other sister Carolina. I also have two half-brothers and three half-sisters. I'm not too fond of four of them, the other one being you, of course. I've never known anything different from being adopted.
What about you?"

"You have two moms?" Maya questioned.

"Yeah." Anna replied, to which Maya's eyes lit up.

"Well, you have 4 times the amount of moms I have. My moms a single mom, so she's kinda in and out. I still love her, because I understand why she has to. She recently got engaged to her fiancé, Shawn. The Matthews family has been more there for me than my own parents have."

"How do you know the Matthews family?"

"Riley Matthews is my best friend."

"Just?"

"What?"

"That's all?"

"What do you mean?"

"Nevermind. I'll elaborate later, Peaches."

"Okay... Uh, I put up a strong facade for my friends so that they don't know how much I care for them because it makes me feel vulnerable when they do."

"Friends."

"Yes. What are you trying to say?"

Anna scooted closer and put her elbow on Maya's shoulder. "You got any particular special someone?"

"It's complicated. There's this whole triangle thing that isn't even close to an actual triangle, let's just stick to friends for now."

"Ok. Tell me all about them."