Bitter Reunion

Juliana's POV

I feel the radiation trying to invade my skin, it's acrid taste burns my tongue as I breathe it in. It tickles my eyes, and I can almost see the haze it creates. Inside I could see everything in a brighter light, the colors more vivid, the lights brighter. I can nearly hear the thick air molecules trying to invade my body. Everything inside had a crisper sound, a nice resonance. Now there's a thick mask dulling my senses. I can see why this would effect a vampire army. I feel a presence behind me, a familiar presence, and when I look back, I only see Elisabeth, but she's too far to be what I feel. I must be paranoid. I take in the scene before me and see the old skyscrapers and the silhouette of the Statue of Liberty. I know that they're long gone, but perhaps I developed a new power.

We hop into a transport pod and are zooming off. As we enter the spirit sphere, it feels as if we're going through a waterfall. The sensation passes and the temperature and light drops. I feel a presence in the transport pod. It feels like the same one from earlier. The door of the transfer pod hisses open and releases us. There is a fine mist swirling about our feet on the ground, but through it you can see the Earth Realm beneath us. I see the barren wasteland that occupies NYC. I feel that presence again, and I follow it. Soon human like figures fill the room. I see his silhouette. I double check on Elisabeth and grab her hand. We head towards Mark. It seems like he's waiting on us.

"Here to finish me off, sweetheart?" he asks, quoting The Hunger Games. I attempt to wrap my arms around him, but he's not solid. He laughs and says, "Karma's a funny thing, ain't it sweetheart?" I nod, only wanting to bury my face in the old Mark's face. He still has that nasty glint in his eye. I'd hoped the transfer would change him. I sigh deeply and stare at my hands. Elisabeth nudges me and nods to him. He looks more solid than before. He gently, yes, gently wraps his arms around me, and they're solid. I tentatively wrap mine around him, and we just stay there. I'm not sure how much time goes by, but Elisabeth sits on the ground and plays with the mist. I feel my vision go blurry and wetness leaving my face. I missed the old Mark, the one that's holding me right here, right now. I look up into his eyes, but I see and feel him slipping, and then 'pop' he sinks through the floor. That's it. I break down crying. Elisabeth lifts me back to the transport pod and pets my head in a calming manner. I put my head in her lap and ask, "Didn't you want to visit people?"

"Nah, I wanted them to remember me the way that I was before the war changed me. Especially my momma." is the reply. I sit up when the pod arrives back at the pyramid. When we walk in, there's a lot of loud commotion, and Mark's casket has fallen off of the table he was at. He's woken up and looks a bit lost. I run to him and curl into his chest, resuming the embrace that had abruptly ended. I look into his eyes, and the good old Mark is back.

"I learned to love in that coma," he says. I look back and notice that his once smooth and flawless complexion is marred and purple. I touch it, and it begins to revert to how it once was. I gasp and he gives a sigh of relief. It must have been hurting really bad. I kiss his eyes, and he kisses my lips.