Prologue

I looked at my watch and impatiently tapped on the red velvet box on my lap as James drove the car into parking right outside the Upper East Side New York penthouse building. "Thanks, James," I said, rushing for the entrance.

It was quarter past eight and I was supposed to have arrived fifteen minutes earlier.

The elevator ride to the penthouse felt like it took an eternity. When the doors opened, I took a deep breath and stepped inside as I had so many times before.

But this was different.

It was my three month anniversary with Amelia since I'd moved in, since our lives together had begun.

The dimly lit hallway welcomed me to the penthouse that was now my home, a home I shared with the woman I loved.

I searched around the room for her as a cool evening breeze swept past, turning my attention to the balcony where the open glass doors led me out to a serenely beautiful and romantically set table for two.

"You're late."

A flame lit inside my heart.

I turned around to find Amelia standing a short distance away. She looked stunning in an elegant mink pleated belted chiffon maxi dress.

The sight of her still gave me tremors.

In my black semi-formal, knee-length office dress and high heels, I didn't feel appropriately dressed for the occasion.

"I'm sorry, Colin scheduled me in a last-minute meeting I couldn't get out of."

Her eyes moved over me with a hint of a smile playing at the corner of her lips. For a moment we just stood and visually feasted on one another.

"You're a vision, Amelia."

The smile reached her eyes. "Happy three months anniversary, Liv."

She offered me her hand and welcomed me into her arms.

I couldn't believe how lucky I was. Sometimes being with her so freely still felt surreal. My life felt like something out of a dream. I didn't know how I'd managed to win over this magnificent woman.

"I have something for you," I said, handing her the red velvet box.

"You didn't have to buy me anything," she said, refusing to accept the gift.

"What can one buy a woman who already has everything in the world, Amelia?"

She studied my gaze for a moment, then said, "Nothing."

I smiled at her and encouraged her to take the box.

She hesitantly looked at me, still doubtful. When she opened the box to find a long single stemmed red rose, a smile instantly lit up her features.

I saw a touch of emotion in her eyes and my heart fluttered. Slowly but surely, she was learning to open herself up to me and could now manage to communicate her feelings without fear of coming across as vulnerable.

She closed the distance between us, slipped her arm around my waist and lightly brushed her lips against mine. Her other hand moved to caress my cheek and my arms naturally fell over her shoulder and along the waist.

We fit into each other so well, being together felt like the most natural, exquisite thing in the world.

Her mouth was soft, silky and her kiss was erotically slow, stirring a yearning in me that made me ache for so much more.

She stroked my tongue with her own and an involuntary moan escaped my lips. Her hand unhurriedly moved from my waist to my ribs, then my breast and my mind grew hazy in arousal.