Chapter 1

Being back at the mansion after everything that had happened felt strange. I'd lived and worked there for years and I'd felt practically nothing about it. But now, it felt like there was a void. An emptiness to it.

I knew it was due to the changes that had occurred within the past year, but the impact felt more profound now that I was living there again. I'd only been back a few days but I might as well have stayed at the penthouse because neither Jonah nor Anna were ever around.

I'd thought after the divorce was final it'd be important for all of us to be together as a family, presenting a united front and as predicted, the media had already picked up on the news.

I was starting to think I was the only one who cared about the impact it'd have on all of us. I didn't know what to think or how to feel. I didn't know the state Jonah or Anna was in. I was tempted to talk to Patrick, but he'd failed to show up for the final proceedings and had only sent his lawyers.

The whole situation felt out of sorts and this was one of those delicate family matters I couldn't control. Everyone needed to deal with their own feelings in their own way. They needed time. I didn't know why I thought spending that time together would be helpful.

This was one of those powerless situations I resented. I couldn't move forward lest I made my family feel like I didn't care and I didn't want to stay stuck waiting on everyone, lest I let the situation control me.

I didn't give much thought to Patrick or how the situation affected him. Maybe I should have. After all, he was the father of my children, but we'd been distant for years and he was more of a business associate than a friend.

In the past year, we'd probably directly communicated to one another more than we had in years.

"Patrick, don't you think we should talk about my role in your business," I'd said once during a phone call.

The last project I'd worked on had gone successfully well. Not only had I acquired the organic cosmetic company in Paris, but I'd also managed to outbid everyone else who had been interested.

"We should, Amelia. I just need a bit of time to deal with the divorce," he'd said.

That was two and a half months ago. I'd thought he'd make time to meet up with me during the divorce proceedings so we could figure out how to be there for our kids, but after his absences and unreturned calls, I'd gotten the message right and clear and I had no intention of reaching out to him again.

"Mrs. Gallagher."

I looked up at the unexpected voice coming from my office door as Michelle Fields, my long term personal assistant who'd resigned after getting married, had come back to work for me. Since we'd parted on good terms and she'd been extremely qualified for the job, I'd taken her back on.

I'd thought starting a family might hinder her performance or distract her but her efficiency hadn't faltered yet. "Yes, Michelle," I said.

She stepped into my office. "I just wanted to inform you that I'm taking off."

I raised my eyebrow, looking at the clock on my laptop. It was almost seven in the evening. She'd been used to working longer hours, but now that she had a child, I understood she had other important obligations and responsibilities.

"That's fine," I said.

"I just wanted to remind you about the board meeting tomorrow morning at Winston Enterprises."

"I didn't call for a board meeting." Something so important couldn't pass my mind despite how distracted I was.

"Your son, Jonah, called for the meeting. I mentioned it to you earlier this afternoon," she said.