Chapter Ten

~Autumn's POV~

John found a good spot to hang out far away from the Schuyler sisters and offered Autumn a seat. She knew her requests were a bit extravagant, but the fact that John did his best to fulfill those requests made Autumn admire him even more.

There was only one chair open and of course John let Autumn have it. He ran to get her a drink and then returned to her side hopefully to never leave. They were both enjoying each other's company.

"You look so bored," John laughed, when he noticed Autumn's blank expression.

"I'm not bored. I'm just not interested," Autumn replied, taking a sip of her drink.

"You wanna go outside?" John suggested, glancing at the open back doors.

"Are we allowed to go outside?"

"The doors are open aren't they?" He held out his hand.

Autumn smiled and took John's hand. She really didn't have anything to lose.

"Let's see what the Schuyler sisters got goin' on back here," John said as he led Autumn down the steps.

She looked behind her shoulder to see if anyone noticed they were gone but everyone was too busy having a good time to care.

"They've got a pretty good garden." John surveyed the bushes and flowers lining the pathway.

"Their flowers aren't as good as yours," Autumn told him.

"Money can't buy happy flowers," John said with a giggle.

"True."

"Let's be nosy." John yanked Autumn down the pathway and deeper into the Schuyler's backyard.

After walking hand in hand for about five minutes, they stumbled upon a beautiful fountain. Autumn instantly released John's hand and scurried to the water.

"Being nosy pays off, doesn't it?" John laughed.

"For sure. Sit down." Autumn patted to the spot next to her at the edge of the fountain.

John took a seat in the spot Autumn gestured to and took her hand in his again. "Autumn?"

"Yeah?"

"You look really amazing."

Autumn smiled. "Thank you."

"I really love that color on you."

"John!" Autumn whined.

"What? I'm complimenting you!"

"Ok, look, let's talk about something," Autumn said, turning to face John.

"If it's about the war, I don't wanna hear it," he announced.

"Ok, then, let's talk about us."

"Us?"

Autumn laughed at how John suddenly got exceedingly nervous at the topic of their relationship. It seemed as if all men were afraid of the subject.

"Yes, us," Autumn confirmed. "Should we even get into a relationship since you're leaving me?"

"I'd regret it if we didn't."

"But I don't want to be heartbroken."

"Autumn, why do you think something's going to happen to me? I'm coming back home. We'll be together, I promise." John kissed the back of Autumn's hand.