Chapter Thirty-Two

~Jaya's POV~

Aaron's dark brown eyes stared straight into Jaya's soul from his seat across from her. He made her a beautiful breakfast even though he was the one who had been risking his life at war every day.

She smiled at him and he smiled back, the silence in the room thickening. It wasn't an awkward silence though. It was rather relaxing.

"I missed you so much," Aaron said, reaching for Jaya's hand across the table.

"I missed you too," she replied. "Tell me about the war."

"It's crazy," Aaron replied. "It's hard every day but we keep fighting."

"And Laurens and Lafayette have already been hurt?"

"Yeah. It's insane, huh?"

"I just can't imagine one of you dying out there. That would break my heart."

"It's a possibility but let's hope nothing like that happens," Aaron said squeezing her hand to provide comfort. "Have you talked to Mulligan lately?"

Jaya was taken aback by the quick subject change. Aaron's eyes went from loving to harsh in a millisecond. She didn't want him to think she was hiding something by hesitating and she didn't want him to think she was lying by answering quickly.

She took a breath before saying, "I saw him the other day."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah..."

"I know he likes you, Jaya," Aaron said blatantly. "There's no use in hiding it."

"Okay, and?"

"And?!"

"Yeah, like what's the big deal?"

"You like him too, don't you?" Aaron inquired rather harshly.

"So what if I do?"

"Jaya, you don't understand."

"What don't I understand, Aaron? It's not like I'm in a romantic relationship with either of you," Jaya reasoned.

"Oh, so all of a sudden whatever we have is completely platonic?" Aaron snapped, immediately releasing Jaya's hand.

"No! I like you a lot!" she claimed, realizing she had made a really big mistake.

"It doesn't even matter." Aaron stood from his chair and swiped his plate off the table in a flash. He went into the kitchen and never returned.

Jaya rubbed her face with her hands, contemplating what had just happened. She really did like Aaron but she liked Mulligan too. How could she choose?

Even though it was rather early, Jaya wanted to cool off so she grabbed her shawl and escaped into the drowsy city. There wasn't a lot of people in the streets and that helped Jaya think better. It helped a little too much because all of a sudden it was as if she could hear her thoughts out loud. They got louder and louder by the second.

I knew this was going to happen. I should've seen it coming.

But how can I choose between both of them? They're both great guys.

And if I choose one over the other, they'll hate me.

Jaya exhaled, her breath wispy in the nippy morning air, and stopped to think for a while. She needed to be still for just a moment.

Had it really been that obvious to Aaron that she liked Hercules too? She knew everyone was aware of her love for Burr but she didn't know people knew she liked Mulligan as well. What would her friends think if she chose between the two? Would they judge her?

In the distance, Jaya saw a familiar face that wasn't Mulligan or Burr. It was Laurens setting up his flower stand. Jaya laughed to herself and walked in that direction. Maybe he could give some advice.

"Hey, Laurens," she greeted with as big of a smile she could muster.

"Oh hey! What are you doing out in the city so early?" he asked, placing flower pots on the stand.

"I'd like to ask you the same thing," she said admiring the beautiful flowers he was putting on display.

Laurens smiled and ran a hand over his slick brown hair. "I just love working the stand. I missed it a lot when I was gone."

"I'm assuming Autumn's at home sleep," Jaya joked, crossing her arms.

"I asked her if she wanted to work yesterday and she laughed in my face."

"I figured."

"You still didn't answer my question," John said, placing the last flowerpot on the stand.

"I just needed to think for a while," she responded.

"At like, seven in the morning?"

"Yes," Jaya replied. "I've got some crazy stuff going on in my life."

"Like what?"

"I'm just confused," she sighed, looking to the ground.

"Why?"

"Because I have a really big decision to make and if I choose any option no one will be happy," she explained. "I've tried to weigh my options but it's not working."

"What do you think is best for you?"

"I don't even know," she mumbled shaking her head.

"Well, find out what your best option is. I mean, you were gonna have to make a decision one day, right? The time to make that decision is now. Who cares if people are disappointed? It's about you, okay?"

Jaya nodded. It was nice to get encouraging words from someone else. Now all she needed to do was find out who she was most comfortable with. That decision wouldn't be easy either.