Chapter 4: The Black Queen

“…and that’s what happened.” Amaya finished explaining how she met Shiki and Rima to her two fellow perfects and her uncle Kaien. Kaien and Zero looked grim as the story ended. It was never nice to hear the associations darker side, but both knew that did happen sometimes. They could only thank God that the four men has defected from the association.

Yuuki was sad and scared. She could never see innocent Rima and the silent Shiki being hurt for no reason other than being vampires…and what that man was about to do to Rima…the younger girl shuddered. She looked at Amaya and felt a familiar warmth spread through her chest.

“Amaya nee san is very kind.” Yuuki said finally, smiling up at the older girl.

Amaya looked at Yuuki in confusion. “Huh, where did that come from?” She asked.

Yuuki smiled. “Even though you’re a hunter yourself you still saved Rima sempai and Shiki sempai. You didn’t have too, but you did.” She paused as her mind flashed back to a night ten years ago. “I think… I can understand Rima and Shiki now. They adore you and want to see you happy.”

“Heh? Really, I never thought they adored me…liked maybe…tolerate definitely….but-” Amaya started.

“NO!” Yuuki interrupted, a fire in her eyes and shocking the three. “I can tell. They absolutely adore you Amaya nee san. They would do anything for you because…even if you betray their trust…they’ll still adore you and be loyal to you. You’re their savior, their protector….one of their most precious people…”

Kaien smiled, shaking his head. “Yuuki….are speaking from your own experience?”

Yuuki blushed and looked at the headmaster in embarrassment. “Um…” Was her answer.

“Oh…that’s right. You told me about that uncle…didn’t someone save her…oh ten years ago or so?” Amaya asked, trying to remember.

“Yes, Kaname kun saved her from a level E vampire.” He suddenly got stars in his eyes. “Ah…my sweet daughter is in love!” He jumped at her, but Yuuki avoided him, making him fall flat on his face.

“Kaname Kuran…as in prince boy?” Amaya asked, raising an eyebrow. Yuuki looked down, blushing, but nodded.

“Tch…it’s the reason she watches him so much.” Zero spoke up, a dark look on his face.

Yuuki’s blush became brighter.

‘I didn’t know that shade of red existed…’ Amaya thought.

“I DO NOT!” She yelled, disagreeing vehemently.

Zero rolled his eyes.

Amaya grinned evilly. “Oh…is someone jealous. Do I see a love triangle forming?” She asked.

“AMAYA!” Zero snapped, looking ready to pound her into the ground, a dark aura all around him. Amaya just laughed.

“Ah…um….eh?” Yuuki stuttered out.

“Hahahaha! Amaya, you take after me so well!” Kaien giggled, standing abruptly and pulling the elder girl into his arms.

“Glad you approve.” She said, a bright smile on her face.

Zero’s eye twitched. “There’s two of them. Good God…” He turned and stalked out of the room.

“Wait, Zero!” Yuuki yelled.

“Goodnight.” He said, slamming the door behind him.

“Aw, Zerorin can’t take a joke.” Amaya pouted.