Chapter Seven: Heretic

The king did not reclaim power on his own. He sought the aid from a neighboring city, from a kind king who was lured into assisting the king, tempted and tricked. In the dead of night he rose to his throne, and when the people awoke in the morning, he was there. He was contemptible and wicked, but he was crafty, and made the necessary preparations to be rid of his city from the Shepherd of Fire.

The townsfolk were astounded. How could this be? The king’s surplus of guards had been annihilated, and he sat on his throne, army of men replenished, dining on food and wine. It was as if he had never left. They looked to the Shepherd, asked for his advice. He saved them once, surely he could do it again. He could raise up another army, a stronger, more able-bodied army, and they would storm the castle gates.

Couldn’t he?

They had been free for three months when the king announced his arrival, and his right to take the throne once again. The day was cold, winter had approached. He took his place and the crown on the winter solstice. On the Day of the Dragon Feast.

Once a year, on this forsaken day, a citizen was selected at chance from the townsfolk. He was then presented to the Dragon, the beast that occupied the caves of the mountains. In exchange for the man, the Dragon left the city to its peace for another year.

The people celebrated this day, celebrated the Dragon, and the treaty between it and mankind. They celebrated sacrifice, death, and mourning. This was done all at the king’s bidding.

This year, the townsfolk gathered at the Choosing, fear eating away at their insides. None of them wanted to be chosen. James clung to the Shepherd as they entered the square on Nightmare, the horse born of shadows. Flames flickered behind the Shepherd’s eyes, he was enraged by the king having the audacity to retake the throne.

“My people!” the king called out, cold eyes surveying the group, settling with a certain harshness on the Shepherd. “You have all sinned greatly, and for that, you should be punished. But I am a gracious king, and I will pardon you all. For you see, you were all deceived, persuaded to do evil by a warlock. There is a heretic among us, and he shall never be forgiven for the crimes he has committed!”

The people looked about, muttering quietly to themselves. They knew the king was referring to the Shepherd, but had he deceived them? Had they committed wrongs because of him?

“You’re mad.” The Shepherd’s voice was not louder than any others, but it was heard by all. “You’re mad, to think I have shamed your people that way.”

“I am the ruler of this settlement!” The king spat back, “I shall be the one to define the meaning of the word, ‘mad.’”

“You are blinded by your own foolishness.” The Shepherd responded.

“Silence! You should have stayed in the pastures with your sheep and lambs, Shepherd.” The name was uttered as one would utter the names of spiders or snakes, or other treacherous things that crawl along the ground. “For you are heretic blood, and you have been chosen! Your flesh will feed the Dragon. We will have no trial, there is no case for reason. You have been chosen to pay with your life!”

“At your bidding, you would turn witches and saints to ashes all the same!” the Shepherd countered, “It matters not if they are honest and true, you would put them in chains anyway!”

They seized the Shepherd, shoved him harshly to the ground. The people stood by, frightened, too stricken to do anything to stop them.

“No!” cried James, beating on the men with his young fists. “Stop! You can’t take him!”

“You will be devoured by the hands of the Dragon! You will suffer until fire sets you free. You, Shepherd of Fire, will encounter the bright flames of hell!” The king was laughing, a crazed look in his eyes. The Shepherd was surprised he was not foaming at the mouth like a diseased dog.

He did not bother trying to resist as he was chained and shackled. He glared at them coldly when one man struck his face, but all of his efforts of resistance would have been futile, he knew that full well. His fate was decided by the king’s lies.

He cast looks at the people. He was glad that they were not rushing to aid him. He did not want them to receive his fate. One man watched the Shepherd with sad eyes as he and one other fought to restrain the struggling James.

“Men!” the king instructed the guards that held the Shepherd, “Take him to the Dragon’s keep. And take with you that wicked steed.”

The Shepherd whipped his head around to his horse. “Go!” he cried to her, clicking his tongue frantically.

Nightmare snorted nervously pawing the ground. She did not want to leave without her master. But the guards approached her, and the Shepherd repeated his command more desperately, and she bolted off, as swift as the wind, as silent as night.

A few men mounted their beasts and took off after the mare. The Shepherd was not worried for her, she was cunning, she would be able to outwit and outlast the men and their dumb beasts.

The guards heaved the Shepherd to his feet, removing his weapons, his armor, his cape, and the king laughed, “Behold, your glorious Shepherd of Fire. Does he look victorious in your eyes? He is nothing but a mere man, a sacrifice to the Dragon. He is weak, insufficient, a peasant. I would not even spit the ground upon which he walks, he is much too lowly for that. And now he shall go to his fate, and we will be rid of him forever!”

James tore from the man’s grip and leapt towards the men with the Shepherd. “Please, sir, don’t leave us. Please don’t leave us. Not like this. We’ve all walked fragile lives, and we have all fallen down before. Please, Shepherd, don’t leave me.”

The Shepherd looked away, and for once, James saw the man experience shame. “I’m sorry, James.” He whispered, voice losing its authority for a brief moment. “But this must be done.”

James did not fight anymore. He believed the man with all his heart. He stooped down and scooped up the cape that they had discarded. “Farewell.” He whispered, holding up a hand to salute the Shepherd. The man beside him did as well, and soon the whole population of townsfolk had a hand raised to bid the Shepherd a last goodbye.

Enraged, the king shouted, "Take him away! Out of my presence at once!"

It was then, the Shepherd was taken away to be consumed by the Dragon. And James’ hope, the light for the city of evil, slowly burned out.