18

MICHAEL WAS TOLD TO COOK DINNER. Michael, a diploid, took perfect advantage of his abilities and got steak. He grinned, holding the meat in his hands. He closed his eyes, feeling his hands growing hot.

After watching them closely, he cooked them to perfection. He giggled, putting them on the plate along with all of the vegetables. He plated them up, presenting them to his mother and father before he washed his hands. He stood at the table, watching over them with a bright smile.

"Are they cooked well?"

"Yes . . . thank you, Michael." His sort of Dad said, raising an eyebrow at his not really son's behaviour.

He smiled, and his mother cleared his throat. "So, has your friend came back yet?"

"I don't think so. Calum doesn't like to talk about him much anymore."

"They're friends, correct?"

"Something like that. Pretty much brothers."

"Poor kid." Tracey said, giving a sympathetic smile to her steak, although not meaning it at all.

Michael licked his lips, wondering if he should tell them that Calum was coming over. In the end, he figured to decide against it, and waited in the living room that was right next to the front door. He couldn't pay attention to the news that was playing in front of him, and wriggled in his seat.

"If you want to do something, Michael, you can clean up the mess you made."

"I cleaned the pan I used to actually cook the steak." Michael mumbled, groaning.

Finally, the doorbell rang, and Michael was questioning his choice in shirts. Ah, fuck. He opened the door, kissing Calum on the cheek before ushering him out of the cold night. He sat him down on the couch and rushed upstairs, yelling something about his shirt.

His mother and father looked at each other before looking at the Kiwi.

"Hello, Calum." Tracey said. "This is Michael's father, Steven."

"Hello." Calum blushed, not looking them in the eyes.

Tracey sighed into her hand, pretending to think about the subject she wanted to talk about, even though Calum already knew. "So, has Ashton turned up?"

"No, he – he . . . I don't know where he is." Fuck you, stutter.

The corner of the blond woman's lips twitched. Gotcha. "You sound pretty unsure."

"Why would I lie?"

Steven stood up, taking their unfinished dishes into the kitchen. "I don't know, why would you?" His wife pressed.

"Uh, well, I asked you, so . . ."

"You know where he is." She stated, not even hesitating.

"Come on up, Calum!"

The olive-skinned boy raced upstairs, going into where he heard Michael's room was. Michael grabbed his face and kissed him, using his other hand to push the door shut. He led them both to the bed, ending up on top of Calum.

"You're not even to make me dinner first?" The Maori mumbled onto his lips.

"Who needs dinner when you've got me?" Michael returned, straddling him.

Calum laughed, slipping his hands under Michael's shirt. "Fair enough." He said, pulling the shirt off.

The pale boy pouted, "That's unfair," he whined, pulling Calum's shirt off. "Okay, now it's good." He smirked, running his hands over the boy's slight abs.