the pressure is on

The Big Showcase is coming up and I've been extremely nervous. It's my first solo and this could either "make me or break me". The top schools are going to be there, looking for new possible students. For me to be at the top of my game, I have to practice; practice like I've never practiced before. Whelp, that's gonna be hard when you live in a brownstone with a sixteen-year-old brother who you have to constantly worry 'bout. DJ is just like Pops and he's gonna end up like Pops if he doesn't get his act together and stay away from that gang. Both Moms and I have told that boy, but he's just so damn hard-headed! He skips school majority of the time and on the days that he does go to school, he cuts up in class and gets in trouble with his teachers. Now with Johnathon and Reni , I don't have to worry 'bout. Johnny is six and he's just the most adorable thing ever. He loves helping around the house and he makes good grades at school. Reni is two. Her real name is Serenity, but I just call her Reni for short. She's my little bright bundle of joy. Her father left six months before she was born. He left for food and never came back. No phone call, no letter, nothing. Pathetic, what a man he really was. Pops died when Johnny was bout two and Moms was just maintaining her busy schedule at the restaurant downtown, but after Pops died, she had to pick up another job at the Best Buy up in Queens. That meant she'd rarely be home to see her children.

When Moms would be at work and DJ, Johnny, and I would be at school, Reni would be next door at Mrs. Kennedy's, our neighbor. She doesn't mind watching her. We tried to offer her money at first, but she ain't take it; she just enjoys the company. Her husband died before we moved in and her kids were all grown up, taking care of their own families, too busy to come for a visit. She has nobody left, but us.