panic

I had to really go save my brother now. It could be life or death. Before I could even move, I felt hands on my shoulders, picking me up from off the ground and into the house. Eddie must have heard my reaction and sent the two other gang members outside to check the situation.

There I was, standing next to my brother with a gun to my face. I couldn't move, I couldn't react, and I couldn't even breathe. All I could do was just stand there and watch the gun being pointed to my face. My life began to flash before my eyes. I quickly closed them. I knew that there was no escape from this one; I just knew that I was gonna die, right here on these old, dingy rugs with my brother's dead body next to mine. The only thing that I kept thinking of was that day in the kitchen when I was six. The memory of hearing her voice rang in my ears. I began to cry, then all of a sudden, I could see nothing but darkness.

POW!

One gunshot filled the air.

POW! POW! POW!

Three more had gone off.

I opened my eyes to awaken in heaven, but instead see Eddie's body lying in a pool of his own blood. The two other gang members lie dead too. DJ had shot them with Eddie's other gun he had given them. He accepted that gun to show his loyalty to him. He was bringing him back his gun. I knew he understood what I meant that night. As I approached him, he fell to ground. The fourth gun shot hit him in the stomach. I curled up next to him, holding him in my arms as I began to weep. He reached his hand towards me and smiled, but it slowly disappeared. I began to scream at the top of my lungs.

"NO NO NO! DJ DON'T LEAVE! KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN! DON'T LEAVE ME! DON'T LEAVE ME!"

It was too late. I had just lost my brother to the streets: One of the only two ways to escape this streets.