Chapter 9: Family

Lisha ground her teeth together as she looked out the small window. She gazed at the plant life and creatures the little car zoomed past. Nature called to her very being. She couldn't deny it. As soon as these people removed their judgmental eyes from me, I'm gone!

"Do you have any questions?" Mr Henry Davidson asked.

Lisha continued to stare out the window.

"You haven't said anything since we left. It's a long drive to Ranton, there you will meet the rest of our family. Trish, Hayley and Brent."

"I don't really care." Lisha muttered.

Henry looked back out the front windscreen and readjusted his grip on the steering wheel. "I don't know what trouble you in, but I can assure you, you are safe with me. No one will find you nor harm you in my presence. I promise."

Ha! Until he finds out what I can do.

Henry sighed then reached down for the radio and turned the volume up. "Do you like this kind of music or would you like me to change to a different station?"

She glanced to the square device in the dash and gave the repetitive beat a listen. She was sure the beat and bass would hurt her ears if turned up any louder, other than that, she didn't mind. "This is fine."

The drive was never ending. Lisha spent her time peering out the car door’s small window at the ever changing landscape. First, there were tall concrete, brick and steel buildings, they begun to shrink then separate from each other until they disappeared. Smaller building with extensive gardens took the place of the larger building, they too were soon replaced by long yellow grassed paddocks with old damaged fences around them. The landscape changed twice more after that as the land become hilly and trees sprouted into forests. Lisha placed her hand on the glass as the trees zoomed by. That’s where I want to go.

It had at least been two hours before Henry slowed the car down and entered into a built up area. "This is Ranton."

Lisha took in the dwelling structures and spacing. She felt crowded once again, trapped within a human society. At least I can see trees along the town’s outskirts.

"We live down here," Henry said. He turned the vehicle down a little street then up the concrete driveway of a large brick veneer home with a large green cone like tree.

Lisha turned her head. Where was that forest?

"Come on in, I will introduce you to the family."

What choice do I have? If I try to escape now, he'll stop me. No, tonight, when they sleep. She followed Henry up the two concrete steps and to the heavy looking timber door he held ajar for her. The doorway led into a large open living area. So much nicer than the hospital, was Lisha’s only thought as she stepped in. The sound of footsteps called her attention beyond the high archway on the other side of the room.

"My wife is in the Kitchen, and here she comes," Henry said and motioned to the medium sized woman with straight blond hair, dressed in jeans and a loose shirt with a small dish towel draped over her shoulder. "Oh, you must be Lisha, so nice to meet you. I'm Trish," she said and held out her hand.

Lisha wrinkled her nose and backed away as if it would bite her. No way I’m letting these people place their filthy hands on me!

Trish exchanged glances with her husband then looked to the glowing narrow hallway beside the kitchen archway. "Kids, come and meet Lisha."

Oh no. More! Lisha realised as she heard footsteps echoing through the house. They came from different directions, two sets, one heavier than the other. Lisha spotted the two figures emerge from the tight door and into the living room. The first, a blond haired boy, about 10 years old. The other a black haired girl, Lisha presumed she was about the same age as her, even though she was still unsure what that was. 16?

The boy hung back. A little shy, Lisha recognised as he dropped his gaze and shuffled his runners on the carpet. The girl, dressed in little tight clothes that Lisha presumed had to be uncomfortable, crossed her arms across her chest and transferred most of her weight to one leg with a lopsided hip movement.

"This is Lisha, she will be staying with us for a while. Lisha, this is Brent and Hayley."

Brent gave a small wave then looked to his feet again. Hayley narrowed her eyes and pushed her lips together. "What is wrong with your skin?"

Lisha didn’t like her tone. It sounded more like an insult than a question. "What’s that bit of metal in your nose?" she snapped, mimicking the same attitude.

Hayley reached up and touched her nose stud. "What are you some kind of freak?"

"That’s enough girls. In his house, you will act like a family. Be polite to one another."

"Whatever," Hayley said with a wave of her arm and walked off back down the corridor.

Brent stood frozen on the spot. His blue eyes large and watching her. Creepy little kid.

"Brent, did you want to ask a question too, but don’t be rude," Trish said.

Brent looked to Trish, then back to Lisha. He shook his head then turned down the hallway, disappearing in what Lisha believed must be a bedroom of some kind. Weird humans!

Henry clapped his hands. "Well, that’s the family, should I show you to your room?"

Lisha didn’t say anything though her thoughts ran wild. No, I want you to turn your backs so I can bolt out the front door and put this human monkey business behind me!

The adults exchanged glances again. "Well it’s this way."

Lisha humoured Henry and followed him down the hallway. Like the rest of the house artificial lights in the ceiling brightened the long narrow room. That’s odd. The sunlight through the windows was ample enough to allow a human to see. All the lights seemed to do was chase away all shadows not devoured by the natural light.

They walked past three sets of doors. One labelled with a huge banner warning anyone who passed not to enter with big large red letters. Heavy beat music sounded from behind the walls. Each deep thud caused Lisha’s ears to ache. She clapped her hands over them and for one was glad she did not have on her painted dog ears.

"Here we go." Henry opened a door, which led into a spare bedroom. "Everything is made up for you. I hope you'll be happy.

Yeah right! she thought then uncovered her ears. The few walls between her and the music made it bearable to hear.

"Well, I'll let you get settled in."

Lisha entered the square room with one large window parallel to the door. A double sized bed occupied most of the floor space with two side draws beside the large frame.

Placing her plastic bag on the thick colourful quilt cover, she looked to the double timber doors on the opposite wall. A way out!

She leapt across the other side of the room and yanked the doors open. Her shoulders dropped as before her sat rows of shelves and a solid looking wall. No, just somewhere I can hide.