Chapter 1

The moist, brown earth covered the woman from head to toe. As the magic wove around her dragging her through the dirt as she was unburied, Lexi took in a deep breath of air, coughing as dirt went up her nose and into her airways. "It is done!" an unfamiliar voice cried out. Lexi turned slowly, just in time to see a brown haired woman stake her lover Lee. "NO!" she cried, but what should have been a shout barely came out in a whisper. Sobs stuck in her throat as her lover's body replaced the sunken earth where hers just laid merely moments ago. "Twas a shame, he really did seem to love you." Came the voice again, and Lexi looked up into the startling green eyes looking back at her. "I hope you were worth it." She said before turning away.

The magic stopped, and Lexi fell from being held in midair, she landed on top of her grave, or Lee's now, the sobs that were held back came rushing forth, and she let out an agonized scream as the troupe of witches disappeared into the mist. Lexi laid on top of the dirt that encased the body of Lee. "Why? Why did you do it?" she whispered to herself, but in turn she knew the answer, she would have done the same if positions had been reversed. It was just the thing to do when a person was so in love. Give their life for their one true love. She wiped at the tears, smearing the dirt on her face into mud, looking down at herself, she made a vow to live her new life to the fullest in honor of Lee. She stood and made her way into town. Arriving approximately ten minutes later, due to her grand vampire speed, she made it to the town which was 150 miles away from the spot she was buried, at dusk.

She ran to a local motel, breaking into an occupied room, where it seemed a business manager named Lauren was staying. After taking a shower and stealing some clothes, Lexi headed back into the woods to feed, her hunger overtaking her thought process. She had no idea how long she had been dead, but just the fact of her feeling nauseous, she knew she needed to feed, so she tracked down a herd of deer and easily killed 3 of them in a matter of seconds. She knelt and fed on the main bloodline in the neck, emptying the vessels of their life-force. She threw the bodies into a nearby pond and began her travel to Mystic Falls. She didn't know what to expect, but just knowing she knew someone there was enough to give her hope. She just hoped Damon Salvatore wasn't the first person she met.

The lights were just barely gathering in the big sapphire sky as dawn approached. She had managed to find the ring Lee had left in her pocket, when they brought her back. Lexi had slipped it on during her journey, so she was safe as she approached the town in the daylight. She made it to the Salvatore boarding House and was just about to open the door, when she felt an invisible wall in front of her. It was impossible, the house belonged to vampires, or it had when she had been alive. She rang the doorbell, feeling completely human. When the door swung open, she was greeted by a gasp and a shocked expression. "Hello, Elena. Mind if I come in?" she asked with a grin.

After being let in, Elena filled her in on all things Stefan, and without listening to her words of discouragement, Lexi took off to Chicago, the last place Stefan was seen. With any luck, the younger vampire would steal be there. She entered a bar, the place where Elena said she and Damon last saw him. She spotted someone of the right build and style and with a broken sadness in her voice, hesitantly called out. "Stefan?"

----------

If you like my story so far, please give it a vote! - Thanks, AW.