Chapter 3

The last thing I intended to do on my first day in court was to get distracted by a man.

I was sitting beside my client waiting for our turn, watching the busy room. There was a man in a brown Sherriff's uniform standing against the wall at the side of the room. I noticed blue eyes and a hint of scruff. He was talking quietly to a young woman with short black hair pulled back in a ponytail. From her wide eyes and brand new uniform, she was obviously a cadet.

He's training her, I observed. Then my case number was called, so I gave my client a reassuring smile and got to work.

Public Defender is not a glamorous job, by any stretch of the imagination. Usually the youngest person at a law firm is given these cases or, in my case, the newest hire. I suppose they want to test me.

The people at my old firm would balk at this kind of grueling, thankless work, but I don't mind it. Not because I'm self-sacrificing and full of lofty ideals; rather, it's mostly because I'm stubborn. My law school advisor told me once that determination and sheer stubbornness will get you further than idealism any day.

And right then I was determined not to let frivolous things like romance tangle up my life. Not after I'd gone through so much to start fresh.

As I was packing up my papers and saying goodbye to my client, I noticed the officer again. He was watching me, frowning like he was trying to figure out where he recognized me from. I raised an eyebrow expectantly and when he realized I'd caught him staring, he walked over and introduced himself.

"I know just about everybody who comes in here, but I don't think we've met. Are you new in town?" he asked.

I nodded, keeping my expression neutral. It was hardly the first time I'd heard that particular line and I wasn't going to give him any encouragement.

"Well, my name's Rick," he said, offering his hand, "Welcome to King County."

"Michonne," I replied, shaking his hand politely.

"Nice to meet you," he said, studying me curiously, then, "I'll see you around."

I watched him walk away and probably could have forgotten all about him if it weren't for what happened at Maggie and Glenn's wedding reception.

I know Maggie through Andrea. They were in the same sorority, although at different times, and the summer that Maggie interned at Andrea's office the three of us hit it off right away. When we get together, we can talk and laugh for hours.

At the reception I told Maggie that the ceremony was beautiful and that she was stunning, and it was true. She looked like something straight out of a fairy tale. Then she and Glenn were off to greet more guests.

That's when I saw him, standing near the buffet table. His beard had grown in a bit since that day in court. He wore a crisp button-down shirt and dark jeans that fit perfectly.

Inevitably, that was also the moment Andrea appeared at my side, just in time to catch me staring.

"He's single, you know. Divorced," she informed me helpfully.

"Andrea...." I warned her. I'm no stranger to her well-intentioned meddling.

"You should go ask him to dance!" she said with more than a hint of mischief in her eyes.

"I didn't come here to find a man," I explained, "My life is so crazy right now with work and everything. The last thing I need is a distraction."

"Michonne, my friend, have you considered that maybe a distraction is exactly what you need?" Andrea patted my shoulder and headed off to refill her drink.

I looked over again. He was talking to a pretty blonde woman. What if Andrea was right? Am I letting my stubbornness get the best of me, keeping me on the sidelines of life, watching my chance for happiness slip by in front of me?

I finished my drink and decided that there was no harm in asking a handsome stranger to dance.

.....................................

TBC!