Chapter 8

Our first date was set for that Saturday night. Apparently his ex has custody of the kids every other weekend, so on those days he signs up for extra shifts at work.

He warned me that he probably wouldn't be able to come over until late that night, but I didn't mind. I've always been a bit of a night owl. And Andre is a heavy sleeper, so we would essentially have the night to ourselves.

In the days leading up to our date I alternated between nervous and excited. Whenever I began to worry, I told myself that I hadn't committed to anything. I could still change my mind at any point and call it all off. If Rick came over and the chemistry that I remembered suddenly wasn't there, I could simply kick him out.

After a brief dilemma about what to wear, I settled on a deep red sheath dress that I often wear to work. It's simple but classy and not too formal.

Once Andre was tucked into bed, I poured myself a glass of wine, carefully selected a suitably romantic playlist and turned the volume on low, and sat down on the couch to wait for my date. The problem with romantic songs is that, after a busy day of shopping and chasing a toddler around the park, the smooth melodies can start to sound like a lullaby.

*Brzzz*Brzzz*Brzzz*

I started to reach for my phone on the nightstand beside my bed, only to realize that I wasn't in bed. I'd fallen asleep on the couch! Panicked, I grabbed my phone to see several unanswered texts and a missed call, in addition to the current ringing.

It was Rick.

I took a second to shake the grogginess out of my head and pressed the accept button.

"Hello?" I said, hoping I sounded more awake than I felt.

I heard a sigh of relief, then that perfect Southern accent, "Michonne. Hey."

"Hey," I said, awkwardly, then lowered my phone to glance at the time.

12:47 PM

"...didn't want to ring the bell in case Andre was sleeping, I mean, I'm sure he's sleeping by now. It's pretty late. If you're having second thoughts, I understand," Rick was saying.

"No!" I said, "Uh, just hold on."

I crossed the room and yanked open my front door. There he was, standing on my doorstep in his brown Sheriff's uniform, looking at his flip phone with a perplexed expression, as handsome as ever.

"Hey," I said simply.

He looked up at me and smiled. Then his eyes glanced down and then back up again, taking in my red dress. When our eyes met again I was struck by the intensity in his gaze. My stomach did a somersault.

Well, I certainly didn't need to worry about any lack of chemistry between us.

"You look fantastic," he said, that soft smile lighting up his features.

"Thanks," I replied, opening the door to let him in.

"Sorry about all that," I motioned with my phone, indicating the unanswered calls, "I was, uh, distracted."

"No worries," he said, with a little glint of amusement in his voice, but thankfully he had the good judgment to leave it at that.

I got him a drink and we made small talk.

"What's this song?" Rick asked, tilting his head to listen, "I like it."

My playlists had cycled through and landed on something I hadn't heard in a long time. I turned the volume up a bit.

"It's something my mom used to play. I didn't take you for a Jazz fan," I said, surprised.

"Me neither," he admitted, "but it makes me feel like dancing."

He held a hand out to me with a playful smile, inviting me to dance. He's rather charming for a country boy, I thought, not for the first time.

I took his hand and we spun slowly about the living room, drifting with the flow of the music. We didn't talk much but, during that slow dance with his hands on my waist and our heartbeats so close together, I felt completely at ease. I had this distinct feeling that whatever was going to happen between us in the future, it was going to be something good.

Rick's eyes caught mine for a long moment and I held my breath, wondering if he was about to make a move. Perhaps he was wondering the same thing. His eyes cut away and he moved closer, placing a soft kiss on my cheek. It was equal parts tentative and affectionate.

As he pulled away, I placed a hand on his cheek and redirected him into a proper kiss. When our lips met, an electric warmth filled my chest and radiated out through my body, burning brighter as my eyes closed, lost in the deepening kiss.

We broke for air and he rested his forehead against mine, both of us breathless with the intensity of our connection. I couldn't remember the last time I'd felt such an overwhelming physical attraction to a man, but that's what I feel every time I start kissing Rick. I can't keep my hands off him.

"Come on," I whispered, taking his hand in mine and leading him down the hall to my bedroom.

I pulled the door closed behind us and clicked the lock into place. No need to take chances with a curious toddler down the hall.

"Come here, beautiful," Rick said, playfully pulling me close.

I smiled as his warm lips landed on mine. I closed my eyes, lost in the moment, enjoying the feel of my fingers in his curls, the feel of his hand sliding down my back, coming to rest on my ass, pulling me tight against his body.

I suddenly felt something hard poking my leg.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, awkwardly shifting away.

Rick immediately realized what had happened and, somewhat mortified, said, "That was my flashlight, I swear!"

I couldn't help but laugh. Rick took a half step back from me and started to remove his utility belt. When he started on the buttons on his shirt, I grinned.

"Damn," I said appreciatively, "This is even better than my twenty-first birthday party."

Rick frowned, highly confused, "What happened on your twenty-first birthday?"

"Andrea ordered a stripper. He came in a cop outfit," I said, laughing at the memory.

Rick smirked, "So, what, do you have a thing for cops?"

I closed the space between us once more, saying, "...maybe just the one," before kissing him again.

In moments his uniform was crumpled on the floor, along with my dress and we moved onto the bed. He trailed kisses down the side of my neck, along my collar, slowly over my stomach, and I thought to myself, Oh, I could get used to this...