28: d o n e || d e v o n

***AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thanks for all the support on this story so far! Silver and Gold reached the top 100 list! To express my gratitude to all you wonderful readers, here's an extra long chapter. I think you'll like this one!***

October 8

4:30 P.M.

"Hey sweetie!" Ariana's high-pitched voice enveloped Devon, and he involuntarily shuddered. "Why did you want to meet here?" she asked, gazing at the clearing around her, a deserted gathering spot a few yards away from the campus gates.

"Listen, we need to talk," Devon replied stoically, taking a step backwards to create more space between them.

Ariana, who didn't quite get the hint, closed the gap once again and laid her lips against his ear. "Let's talk later. There's something else I want to do now," she whispered, adding an exaggerated wink for emphasis.

"No, we're going to talk. Sit down," Devon said, awkwardly backing away and sitting down on a tree stump.

Ariana, who still didn't seem to get the hint, took that as a cue to sit down on his lap. His reflexes getting the better of him, Devon shot backwards like a cannon, sending the poor girl tumbling to the ground. He grimaced and helped her up, apologizing.

"Okay, Ariana, I don't really know how to say this, but before I start, I want you to know that you are a very special girl. You're gorgeous and funny, and any guy would be lucky to have you. Now that being said – "

"Yes!" she interrupted. "Yes, I'll marry you!"

Devon's face immediately contorted in confusion as he hastily attempted to rectify the situation. "What the hell Ari? No, that's not what I meant. For God's sakes, Ariana, we're not even eighteen yet. I was going to tell you that I don't really feel a connection anymore, and I don't want to continue this relationship. We're done."

It seemed as if a switch had flipped in Ariana's brain, and almost instantaneously, the tears began to flow. "A-are you br-breaking up with me?"

He nodded his head in silence, unsure how to respond. The situation was just too uncomfortable for the normally high-spirited Devon.

"I-is this because I bedazzled your lacrosse clothes? I-I was just getting you back for stealing the swim team's clothes. I'm sorry, baby!"

"That was you?" he questioned in surprise. He didn't think she had the guts to pull it off. It didn't change his decision, however. "No, it has nothing to do with it. I'm sorry to do this, Ari."

For a moment, the air was silent, permeated only with Ariana's repeated sobs and hiccups as she racked her brain for a possible explanation. After all, why would anybody want to dump her, right?

Then, it struck her, and the tears were replaced with pure, unbridled anger. "There's another girl, isn't there?" she asked. "There's no other reason you would break up with me."

Devon, who had not expected that accusation, hesitated for a brief moment. He was not sure why he was at a loss of words, but for some reason, he didn't quite know the answer to her question.

Unfortunately, Ariana took that as an affirmation, and she ran out of the clearing without another glance back.