Chapter 6

Laura looked skeptically back at me. Then she cleared her throat.

"You must be Emmilyn. Your presence is very important here. My name is Laura, and this is Max. We will be your top scientists." Her smile was friendly, and she gestured to Max.

"Oh um hi. I'm Maxwell, just call me Max." He shifted his feet, and there was an awkward silence. I glanced back at Laura, and she gave an apologetic look.

"Anyways," she stared at Max. He immediately got serious. "We are very sorry for the rude guards that brought you here. They don't know how to talk. We will bring you to training. If you have any questions or concerns, please find us." She turned, about to leave the room when I stopped her.

"Wait!" Her and Max set their eyes on me. "What did that extraction thing do to me? Why was I put in that tube? What the heck does "switching" mean?!" I asked, weary with anguish and without any clarity. Max sighed.

"We cannot tell you yet. You will be told everything by Tara. Now, get some rest. We need you bright and early for training." They finally left, leaving the door hanging open behind them. I screamed into my pillow. Nobody was telling me anything! I was just pried from my only sister to go on some insane task that I may never come back from. I peered out the window, and watched the shimmering sun go down in flaming colors. I took a deep breath, and followed Laura and Max's steps out to the hall, to go find the training room.

I was ready.