Chapter 12

A cold, numb feeling ran through my fingers and toes. Despite my exhaustion, I sprinted toward our dorm and slammed the door just as Alice, breathless, ran in. I hastily locked all our doors ad windows, and grabbed Alice and hid in the walk-in closet. Alice whimpered softly, and I had a I realized I was starving. I hate it when you are in perfect hiding, and then you remember something important or have to go to the bathroom. Ugh. I sat uncomfortably in the dark space, crouching down as our instructors told us to do in case of lockdown.

"Do ya think its over?" Alice whispered.

"I don't know. But I'm gonna check it out. I'm going out there." I muttered, and Alice's face was struck with horror.

"Bu-but what if the intruder has a gun? Those are illegal! No! I don't think you can do it! And what would happen when you got out there? I'm not letting you." Her voice was rising, her pain-stricken face firm.

"Bye!" I gave a weak chuckle and locked the closet from the outside. She slammed on the door, yelling my name.

"Shhh! Don't make to much noise." I murmured into the door. I silently sprinted out and shut the dorm door. I cursed, it was pitch black outside. I decided to go stealth. I melted into the shadows, and followed a dim light down the hall to the back exit leading outside. I took a deep, shaky breath and jogged down the dark corridor. A faint, scuffling sound was coming from outside, and I have no idea how, but I heard it. Must've gotten superhuman hearing in that tube-slot thing. I followed to sound to the worst surprise of my life.