Chapter 12

Lucas' POV
"Maya! I'm sorry. Sorry!" I called after her. I got up and left a note for the waitress. I chased after her, but then I lost her in the crowd. I called her mobile a couple times and I called the house, no reply. I went back to the restaurant, asked for it to be take away and got on a bus back to my house. I ran in the door and searched the house, she wasn't there and neither was her backpack. I called Riley.
"Hi Lucas," she said in a cheery mood.
"Hi Riley,"
"Lucas what's wrong? Are you out of the hospital yet?"
"Yes, but Maya ran away,"
"What? Where did you see her last?"
"Running across the street from Charlie's,"
"Have you checked the house?"
"Yep I am there now,"
"Okay, Farkle will come to you so you can get in the car, I will try to call her."
"Ok see you soon!"
"Bye,"
"Bye, Good luck!"
"You too!"
I hung up and started searching her room for clues of where she might be. I see her art diary, if I hadn't touched it in the first place there wouldn't be this problem. But I look through it, there are a lot of drawings of dead people and mourning. She's going to the cemetery! Farkle walked through the door as I walked into the lounge room.
"Hey, I'm going to the cemetery," I said as I bolted out the door.
I drove to the coast cemetery, I ran around looking for her. I saw her there, kneeling down next to someone's grave.
"Oh it's you," she said as glared at me.
"I was worried sick about you,"
"Yeah right,"
"You could of hurt yourself, running across the street like that."
"Oo big deal,"
"Sorry Maya, I didn't know it would hurt you so much."
"Well it did, I did over react a bit, so sorry for that,"
"That's ok, I should of known," I said as I kneeled down beside her. "Who's grave?"
"Look at the tombstone,"
Shawn Hunter
"Oh Maya, sorry I should go," I started to leave.
"It's fine, stay it will be nice to have some company."
"Okay," she started crying. "What's wrong?"
"I miss him,"
"I know you do,"
"I need him,"
"Why? Why do you need him?" There was a moment of silence. "It's not to make you smile. It's not to make you laugh and Its not to make you happy. Because Riley, Farkle, Zay and I can do that." She wiped her tears. "Then why do you need him so badly?"
"You are a really bad comforter."
"I know, so why do you need him so badly?"
"Exactly, you don't know, so you are fine,"
"Yeah,"
"Then why are you crying?"
"I don't know, this week has been complicated,"
"I know, I miss high school, where nothing mattered,"
"No rules, No responsibility,"
"Yeah,"
"Yeah,"
"Well we better head back, it's starting to get dark." We drove back home in silence. Riley came to the door and hugged Maya tight.
"Maya, here have some leftovers from Charlie's," she said practically shoving it in her face.
"I'm good," Maya said make her way to the kitchen.
"No Maya, eat please," I said following her.
"Please Maya even if it's cereal," Riley came up behind me.
"Fine," Maya said, grabbing a bowl and Fruit Pebbles. We all went and sat on the couch, Farkle ordered pizza while Riley, Maya and I played Uno. We ate pizza then Maya and Riley went to bed.
"Farkle, want did you do today?"
"Riley and I went to the beach and missed our movie and dinner, looking for Maya."
"Oh sorry about that,"
"What about you?"
"I woke up and took Maya to Charlie's, she ran away and I looked for her,"
"Oh, I better get to bed, want help cleaning up?"
"Nah, I'm good you go," Farkle left and I cleaned up.
I walked into the kitchen and saw the coffee machine. Maya will need a hot cocoa it's been a long day. I took a hot cocoa into her, I saw her sitting on the window sill. "I thought Riley would of tucked you in," I said making my way over to her.
"She did, but I like to watch the stars before I go to sleep," she said as she took the hot cocoa.
"I like to watch them too, they make me think of hope and dreams,"
"I think about how my life could of been if Dad hadn't left or if Shawn didn't die or you didn't move." She started crying, I held her close to me.
"Things happen for a reason Maya, even if it seems so stupid and ridiculous at the time in the end it will all turn out alright,"
"Now you think of something smart to say,"
"Well I'm drinking hot chocolate so..." She chuckled and relaxed more into my chest.
"You really think so?"
"Think what?"
"The everything will turn out right thing," we sat there for awhile just looking at the stars. "Thank you Lucas,"
"For what?"
"For everything, for always being there, for letting me cry all over you, for helping me smile even when I felt like dying, Thank you for Everything!"
"I'll always be here, don't worry," another long pause. "Thank you Maya for making me smile, thank you for welcoming me to New York and for always having my back."
"My pleasure," we sat there for a little while longer just thinking and staring at each other.
"I better get to bed. We have to get up at five tomorrow,"
"Oh, see ya," I was walking to the door when. "Lucas, wait,"
"For what?" I said as I turned around.
"For this," Maya then grabbed me and kissed me, I kissed her back. She pulled away then slammed the door in my face.