[Epilogue]

Every Soul will taste Death

Al-Quran 3:185

⭐︎                                               ⭐︎                                                ⭐︎

No matter how many times Vardah tried calming her nerves, she couldn't help but get clammy all over again. She was thankful to her baba that he didn't complete the ruksathi right after the nikah and wanted to wait till the valimah— on the same day. 

The beautiful bright pink gown she long awaited to wear, now no longer held that magic. Her mood was screwed. 

She did not want to marry. Not yet, at least.

The veil, which was draped elegantly over her head, felt like it was choking her. She wanted to cry, scream on top of her lungs and run away. But, she couldn't— Vardah couldn't do it. 

She couldn't do that to her baba.

She slowly got up from the couch and walked towards her vanity. As soon as she saw the reflection which was staring back at her a gasp broke out from her lips. 

Her steel grey eyes no longer looked like the ones her baba had, they were void of all the joy and glow they once held—they were just globes of grey staring right back at her, they looked puffy and red.

Probably from all the crying, she thought.

She tried hard to keep back the tears, but one lone tear fell from her eyes and she quickly wiped it away when she heard someone at the door. 

"Vardah, can we come in?" the familiar voices of her cousins floated into the room and she slowly opened the door.

Everyone except her own brother, her own twin were standing there smiling like lunatics. 

Areeba and Abeera, her Aamir Mama's daughters hugged her one after the other and Nairah, her Inam uncle's daughter started smoothing down her hair, telling her how she had smudged her eye makeup. 

Her Talha uncle's boys, Aabid and Aaraf with Areeb— Areeba and Abeera's brother and Nairah's brother, Naim — the youngest of her cousins were sitting on the couch, looking at the girls grooming up their sister. 

Everyone was so happy, but Vardah still had that uneasy feeling within her.

He's a good guy.

He's very caring. 

He's everything that a girl dreams of — Nairah had said that.

Everyone said that he was good, that her husband was a very pious and a nice man. But, she had second thoughts on that, she had met him only once and the meeting did not end well.