Chapter 1

Eleanor walked into the airport and took a seat waiting for her boyfriend to arrive. Things with her and Louis had taken a set back recently. The distance between them didn't help either. She felt uneasy sitting by herself in an empty airport at night, but not due to the solitude; she enjoyed that. It was the thought of having to face the problems she'd been having with Louis.

   She heard footsteps approaching her, but Eleanor kept her head facing down as she still felt nervous. She couldn't even bring herself to look at him.

   "Um, El?" said a familiar voice that definitely did not belong to Louis.

   Eleanor peeked up to see her boyfriend's best friend Harry. She suddenly felt at ease and was even able to smile, but Harry wasn't.

   "What's wrong?" Harry asked firmly. He was always so perceptive of her feelings. He wasn't like Louis. Harry always knew and more importantly, he cared.

   "Nothing much, it's just... Louis and I haven't been as close lately," Eleanor replied quietly with a frown. She quickly changed the subject and asked, "Where is everybody else?" eyeing the security guard lingering behind Harry.

   "Looking for their luggage, I'm sure. I was able to pack light, I'm only staying in Manchester for a week. I'm going to New York to visit a friend next week for the rest of our time off. Zayn is probably still in the toilets fixing his hair in the mirror," Harry explained with a chuckle. "We should hang out sometime this week, maybe go to the beach or something? The weather's nice."

  Eleanor was already starting to feel better thanks to Harry. "Yeah, that'd be great, Harry!" They continued to make their usual small talk until the rest of the guys came. Eleanor felt calm enough to face seeing Louis now.

   "-don't know where he is! He probably went to get some food! The poor guy's been starving through the whole plane ride," Harry and Eleanor heard from across the hall. The rest of the boys were approaching them except for Niall, who was probably getting food as usual. Liam was explaining that to their worried bodyguard.

   Louis broke through the crowd and began to march towards Eleanor. Harry reluctantly moved out of the way and she stood up. The couple smiled at each other, but it seemed slightly forced. Louis quickly pulled her into his arms and held her there for a moment. Eleanor was happy to be in such familiar surroundings, despite the recent fighting.

   The reunion was cut short by the sharp shriek of girls nearby. The fans had come to see the band. Everyone had assumed it would be completely empty at the airport since it was the middle of the night and no one had given any information as to when the band was returning to England.

   The eager fans bombarded the boys and Eleanor with questions and flashes of their camera phones. The group tried to maneuver their way through the crowd, while still signing autographs and taking pictures with the hysterical fans.

   At last security broke them away from the girls and started to lead them towards their van.

  "Wait up!" Niall yelled from behind. His arms were full of bags of fast food. He was being chased by fans who'd only just realized he was coming through. Niall started to run and caught up to Zayn, who pulled him to safety behind the line of bodyguards.

   Louis and Eleanor stepped into the back seat of the van and the rest of the boys sat up front. Eleanor felt relieved to finally be able to go home with Louis and be out of sight from the fans. Although she loved the fans and how they made everything possible for One Direction, she didn't want them to see her problems with Louis. She received enough hateful words on her twitter account consisting of "beard" and "fake". So many people had claimed that she was only dating Louis in order to make him seem straight by Modest! Management, which was clearly not the case. And truthfully, it hurt. She didn't want any pictures of her and Louis looking awkward together going up online. She had enough problems at the moment.