Chapter 4: cooking and babysitters

A few days later Spencer finally returned home. The case ended in quite the show leaving everyone speechless. The woman causing the murders was a sheriff at the office. They only learned it was her after she sped through a checkpoint refusing to stop for her fellow workers.
"Alright Spence grab the blanket from the top drawer and then we are off!" He nodded and rushed around the room while I rocked Hayley. She was an easy baby, she loved to coo and make little humming noises. It was cute and she only woke up once a night. Strapping her into her car seat she started to fuss and throw her hands around. "Oh baby girl we don't need to fuss, daddy is just slow." He ran up next to me panting. "Sorry I grabbed one but didn't know if it was the right one. I panicked so I grabbed a few." I nodded, "It's alright. But we need to hurry everyone is waiting." He nodded and closed Hayleys door softly. Placing a soft kiss on my lips he smiled and hugged me. "Look at us, we have a family, a house, everything is perfect." I nodded and smiled back at him. Climbing in next to him I sighed and rested my head on the window. "I can't wait to see everyone. I'm so excited." He nodded and began the half an hour drive.

Driving off the highway we pulled down a smaller well kept back road. Looking down the long driveway we turned into I gazed in amazement. I heard Rossi's house was huge but I had no idea. Coming to a stop Garcia ran out the door and toward the car. "Give me that adorable baby now!" I laughed and nodded pulling her out of the car, "Here you are, just don't smother her too much please." She nodded and walked back into the house with Hayley and all of her bags. After the team got back from the last case they all decided to get together and have dinner at Davids house. Walking in the door the smell of lasagna and garlic bread hit me causing my mouth to water like a river. I was a decent cook but nothing even close to this. In college I hardly got by on microwave television dinners. Spencer could cook occasionally but don't let his brains and good looks fool you, nine times out of ten it was so burned we ordered take out. Rounding the corner every one smiled and mumbled a small hello. I nodded and Rossi smiled, "Wine?" I shook my head. "No thank you. Im not much for the taste of wine. I grew up on hard stuff scotch, vodka, whiskey that sort of stuff." He nodded "I have just the thing." Rummaging through his fridge he found a large bottle of black cherry rum. Smiling at me evilly he poured me a glass while the rest of the team watched. Aaron walked over and elbowed me smiling, "Hard stuff? Since when?" I laughed and took a sip. "College. Well and high school. Who's to say I didn't out run the local cops for being underage every once and a while. Gave then a decent run for their money when I did. They always knew who I was but never stopped me." Morgan looked at me smirking, "Looks like we have a bit of a rebel." I looked at Spencer who smiled and sipped his wine and mumbled. I walked over and rested my hip against his, "What was that smarty?" He smiled, "I said, and of all people she chose me." I smiled at him standing on my toes I kissed him softly. Everyone smiled and Rossi yelled, "Food is ready."
"So we were just about there when will had to go to the bathroom. Long story short we stopped at the insanely sketchy gas station. Henry learned why I lock the doors when we travel." JJ finished her story and we all laughed. Spencer stood up and smiled. "I um, can I have everyone's attention please? I have something to say. It's actually why we are here." I looked up at spencer and he smiled down at me. "Nicole can you stand up please?" I nodded confused as to why but I did it anyway. He held my hands and looked at me smiling, "I couldn't think of anyone I'd want to spend my life with besides you. We have a beautiful daughter but I have an even more beautiful girlfriend. You chose me of all the guys in the world that day in the park on that case. I'd never been happier." At this he paused and got down on his knee. "Nicole Hotchner, will you marry me?" I stood there with my mouth gaping wide. I was still processing his words as I stumbled out the words I wanted to say, "yes! Yes! Oh my god yes!" He smiled like crazy and stood up wrapping his arms around me. I kissed him while we stood there and it was like the world stopped and lightning was running between us. Everyone clapped and rossi smiled as we both sat down, "it's about damn time you poped the question the night was almost over!" Everyone chuckled and I grabbed Spencers hands underneath table. He gave me a sideways smile as he wrapped his much larger hand around mine. I looked at him confused but ignored it for the time.
Sitting in the living room everyone had continued telling stories and small talk. Arron spoke up, "I'm watching hayley tonight." I looked at him shocked, "you don't have to, tomorrow is your day off. I thought you and Jack had plans what that girlfriend of yours. What's her name again?" He smiled "Her name is Melissa and yes we have plans. But we will bring her along. Like you always say, she's an easy baby. Besides we have to let the newly engaged couple have a night alone."

Following Arron outside I loaded Hayley in the back seat of his car. "Alright the only big things are that she wakes up only once a night, and hates getting in the car seat. She will do anything else without a fuss but car seats are her most hated thing." He nodded and hugged me softly, "go have fun I've got this." I nodded and walked over to our car. Spencers was standing there and I wrapped myself around his torso while resting my face on his chest.