Mini Chapter: Cassius Pov

That man caused every nerve in my body to burn, the way his bright eye glistened as he stared me down and how he held Emerald close to his chest. It sickened me to see him whispering in her ear as though he was distant friend, yet he held a blade to her throat, just waiting for one of use to make a move. As quick as a lightening strike he dropped the dagger into Emeralds hands before running off behind her, I took a step forward but my father shook his head in disapproval.

My mother wrapped her arms around Emerald and held her close, she smoothed her hand over Emeralds dark hair as she let a few tears fall down her cheeks. It was obvious my mother already saw her as her own daughter and to see her in such a state broke my mothers heart.

It wasn't easy for me either, the entire left side of Emeralds face looked terrible. Purple bruises feathered along her pale skin and her bottom was covered in dry blood, I got so angry when I saw her face that I had to avert my gaze.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw my mother carefully wrap her arm around Emeralds waist and guided her through the castle gates, meanwhile my father stood with his hands behind his back and his gaze directed towards me.

"Can you not look at her because you find her ugly now my son?, Does Emerald's face repulse you?" He questioned in an emotionless tone.

I clenched my jaw at the silly assumption and shook my head."No of course not, I just find it hard to see her....like that....hurt." I said slowly.

He turned towards me, his face a mask of anger."I'm tired of telling you how to act Cassius, I have babied you because your my child, my only son and I love you. I will always love you as my son but you are not a little boy anymore and I can't clean up these messes, all of these affairs you've been having and the way you've been treating Emerald, especially now. What you said to her after she saved your life was unnecessary, what you said to her about being sold to the highest bidder was a huge mistake." He said.

Running my fingers through my hair in frustration I shut my eyes tightly."I know that father!, I know those harsh word were unnecessary but its true that she doesn't understand my side of it. Yes I've had some affairs and fun in my life but some I actually cared for at some point, she doesn't understand what that feels like or why I act the way I do. Every time I turn around she's angry with me because my past relations keep popping up." I sighed.

My father shook his head and looked at me with disappointment shining in his eyes."Do you hear yourself speaking?, Your still talking about you and how she doesn't understand you, how your the person who's suffering the most. For a dragons sake Cassius grow up and be a man!, That man threatening Emerald today certainly wasn't afraid a whiny prince, do you think others will respect you like this!?" He shouted in annoyance.

He raised his hands in defeat and turned his back to me, he walked off through the castle gates and left me by myself.