Chapter Nine

Maddy's POV

When school was over I had officially given up on trying to return that boy's sweatshirt. I walked out to the parking lot only to find that my mom's car wasn't there.

I knew what was coming. I held my breath as I texted my mom, "where r u".

She responded within a minute, saying "I'm still at work, you'll have to walk home."

Ugh. I didn't live too far from school but it's such a pain having to walk. It was kind of hot out, which made everything a bit worse.

After walking for about a minute, I stopped to take off the sweatshirt and shove it in my bag. It was too hot out.

Fifteen minutes later, I had made it into my neighborhood. I was almost back at my house when I heard loud footsteps behind me.

I turned around to see the most popular power couple in school, Caitlin and Ed. I only knew who they were because it's impossible not to.

Caitlin was probably the nicest, and the hottest of the popular kids. Almost everyone either wanted to date her or be her.

Ed wasn't popular before Caitlin, so it seemed strange that they were together. Somehow it just worked.

"Hey," Caitlin said in a cheery tone. "You're Maddy, right?"

"Yeah, how did you know?" I asked.

"You guys live on the same street, it'd be a bit weird if she didn't." Ed added.

I didn't talk a lot to them, for the most part I just listened. It turns out that they have a friend who's interested in me. I was a bit shocked.

Before we separated, Caitlin suggested we should hang out, and told me I should talk more.

I couldn't think for the rest of the day because my mind was preoccupied with this boy. They wouldn't let me know his name, and I was itching to find out.

I still couldn't help but wonder, was this a prank? Why would anyone like me, let alone be nice to me?

As an attempt to distract myself, I munched on an after school snack of fried tofu & sweet tea from a mason jar, and decided to check my school email.

I had actually gotten one from the school administration. It was an alert for the Beach Ball.

Wow, I remember that from last year. It was a school event where boys asked girls to go to the beach and chill with them. I had never gone, but I'm dying for that boy to ask me.