Chapter 1- Maddy

Amanda Pace as Maddy Simons

Okay, you can do this. See, you're ten minutes early. Perfect, just like you want to be. So you can scope out the place, for my three classes. They barely let me do that, take three classes, but then I passed their stupid test, that was meant for the college freshman. They think I'm dumb, I take college courses as a junior for god sakes. Not that I brag about that often, well, not too often.

I touch the silver planting on each of the doors. Jupiter is such an old high school. It's not where I actually go to school, not even the same district. But it was the only place they were doing Choir Prep, Writers Prep, and Math Prep. I was going to do Science, but they drew the line at three.

"Hey, I'm Jeremy." Oh Jesus, no, a boy. What if he's cute, what if I freeze up. What will happen, will he laugh. Oh crap, what is he laughs at me. But I'm just standing, and I'm not turning, Christ.

"I'm, uh, I'm Maddy." I slowly turn around. Oh jeez, he's not just cute, he's hot. Oh jeez, oh jeez. I tug my hair. Oh my God, I didn't wash my hair. At least I brushed it. 

"Cool, cool, I'm guessing you're here for the preps." He glances around nervously, then shakes his head to himself. "I'm hear for Science, Writers, and Art prep." Jesus Christ! He's in three like me, and in Writers. Oh God. 

"Um, me too. I mean Writers prep. And Math and Choir." Um, um, um! I don't deal with hot boys on a daily basis. How come all the stereotype nerd, unattractive boys go to Jenson Advanced, where I go to school. But I mean look who's talking, I'm not beautiful my any means, and I've gone on dates with those stereotype nerds. But that's mostly out of pity, which is rude, but which is more rude, saying no, or humoring them with one date, and then them being too scared to ever talk to you again.

"You had to take that stupid test too?" Oh my god he thinks it's stupid too. I wasn't going to say anything, in case he thought it was hard or something. I mean, I've been reading high school level books since first grade, then college books once I hit middle school. I take college courses in everything in high school and skipped second grade. I was going to skip third grade too, I already knew my multiplication facts, but I didn't pass the History, got the branches of government all mixed up, and  me up for failure.

"Yeah, insanely easy. Like Newton's Second Law of Motion." We walk down the hall now, looking for the Writers Prep classroom. Wow, a boy I can talk school with that I actually like.

"Yeah!" He laughs and I giggle. Maybe this flirting stuff isn't so hard. His shaggy light brown bobs as he laughs and walks. His green eyes sparkle with little flecks of gold. When we reach the classroom we part ways.

"See you again today at one!" His nose crinkles as he waves and smiles at me again. 

"Bye!" I watch him and his perfect wavy hair and sparkly eyes leave. On to Math Prep. I am so excited! Can't wait till one! I barely watch where I'm going when I enter the classroom. 

"Oh jeez!" I exclaim as I run into someone who's standing at the doorway. "Oh my god! I'm so sorry!" I quickly apologize and pick up the notebooks she was carrying. She bends down next to me.

"Oh my! Don't worry about it! I swear it's fine!" Her brown hat falls off as she gathers her pencils. I didn't even think to bring writing utensils! And I'm in Writers Prep! She laughs and she stands up and grabs her hat and places it back on her head. She sticks out her hand.

"I'm Opal! What's your name?" I think I've seen her before, her aunt works with my mom.

"Hey, I'm Maddy! Is your aunt Nurse Pearl?" We walk in and sit next to each other.

"Yeah! Your mom is Dr. Simons, right!" I've seen at a few off the in-hospital weddings. Or the yearly picnic. And sometimes they have training that my mom takes me too.

"She's my mom's favorite scrub nurse!" We laugh together and talk about different things, the raising of the ocean because of the full moon, what we think these preps are going to be like. What we aspire to be. It's awesome.

"Hey, my family, and some of my friends call me Aqua, by the way." I just wanted to let her know. I mean, I consider her a friend.

"I've heard your mom call you that! I thought it was really cool! I'm glad we're friends! I couldn't imagine going to the Intellectual camp without friends!" We talk a little more, then she waves another girl over and the girl sits next to her.

"This is Serendipity! She's one of my best friends, she goes to my school, but she's way smarter then me!" Serendipity smiles and sticks out her hand, just like Opal did.

"Oh, Opal be quiet, you're plenty smart, especially in streets! And you can play volleyball like no one's business!" Serendipity pushes her shoulder against Opals and laughs.

"That's a really cool name! I'm Maddy, but you can call me Aqua." Opal glances at me sideways and smiles wide. Then a boy sits next to me. I glance at him. He's pretty average looking, not unattractive by any means, but I have my eyes set on Jeremy. He's smiling all goofy like, and is still looking at the door. I glance and see a girl skipping away, blonde hair bouncing.

"You like her don't you?" I turn away from Opal and Serendipity and they just keep talking about their best friend stuff.

His eyes were glossed over, but then he shakes his and puts his hand through his bleach blonde hair. "Do I know you?" He glances at me, his gray eyes looking at me, piercing my innocent question cover. I shrink back, out of habit and quickly turn back around.

"Sorry," I mutter under my breathe. Why did I do that? Am I gaining confidence. What was that? 

"No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. And yeah, I like her." I turn around again and keep my eyes to the ground. "What's your name and why does it smell like ocean and salt?"

"Maddy, but you can call me Aqua. And it smells like that because I'm a daughter of the sea." I look down again, hiding my grin, I've used the daughter of the sea ploy a few times. I like to be entertained by their reactions. And he asked and it's a fairly good response.

"I'm Nico, and what?" He looks quite baffled and very confused. I almost feel bad for him as I giggle to myself.

"My dad's a fisherman."