Chapter 4 Shifted

I awoke the next morning and smiled. Yes smiled, I did not have much to smile for but tomorrow was going to be my birthday. After cleaning up, I dressed and made it out the door. The walk to the café was short mainly because I was starving. The cup of coffee was heavenly to taste and so were the two bagels with butter. I ate it as soon as I left and then walked on. The school day was filled with all the taunts I usually bore. However I went through it all and made it to work. That evening I walked home still smiling. Even though I was treated like dirt I felt happiness even if it was a tiny bit once in a while. As I strode through the doors the figure of my mother stopped me. “Where have you been?” she cried. “Work,” I muttered out. “Silly fool you don’t work, you don’t even bring in money who do you think I am?” she cried. I was silent knowing anything I said would only make her angrier. “Get in the kitchen and clean it up, I’m tired of having to do everything for you!” I nodded and put down my bag before I got to the sink.

                It seemed as if my life would never have any happiness whatever little. After I washed the dishes I snuck an apple out of the fridge and snuck up to my room. There I showered and changed into a pair of torn leggings and a t- shirt. My home work I had already finished in school. I sat back and closed my eyes. An image of my sister and Luc flew to my mind. “Well at least tomorrow should be better right,” I thought as I dozed off. The sound of cries pierced the air. I got up dazed and looked around. Mom was standing in my doorway screaming at me to get up. I looked at my alarm clock and my eyes widened. I was late. I threw back the covers and rushed to the bathroom. There I cleaned up and back in my room pulled on my pair of denims and a pink t-shirt. I grabbed my bag and hoodie and then rushed from the house.

                When I arrived at my locker my face grew red. Someone had stuck a large piece of paper over it with a picture of a birthday cake on it besides this people had taken the time to write the most terrible things about me and wishing it on my birthday. I sighed and pulled it off knowing that Maya had done it. I grabbed my books and rushed into class as the bell rang. The morning flew by and my stomach was practically begging for lunch. For the first time in ages I ended up in the lunch line. That was how hungry I was. I dug out some money and took a sandwich, an apple and a juice and smiled when I saw the cakes. I bought a piece of double chocolate cake and smiled as I made my way outside. There was no way I was going to stay in there. Before I could reach the exit however someone blocked my path. My eyes looked up to see Maya in all her glory.

                “Hello sis come eat with me,” she said and pulled me towards her table. I gasped and held on to my tray. She led us past several tables to where the populars sat. I stared at her and she pulled me up. Everyone stared at us as she towed me along. She sat down and I stood there frozen. “Hey don’t keep the birthday girl standing,” someone yelled. I blushed and someone pulled out a chair for me. I sat down and poked at my sandwich. When I finally picked it up I looked up to see Maya staring at me. I looked away and bit into my sandwich. When I was done I drank out my juice. “So you have cake,” she said. I stared at her wondering what she was going to do. Before I could do anything she had lifted my tray and was eating from my cake. My eyes grew to the size of saucers. “Ewww Gross,” she said and flung it at me. I stood up as pieces of the cake crumbled and messed up my shirt. Everyone grew silent. It took me a while to register what had just happened but when I did I stepped back and looked around. Laughter rang out across the room. Maya got up and high fived a guy behind her and then looked at me.

                I stood there petrified until I saw him. I gulped and stared at his furrowed eyebrows before dashing across the room. I pulled my bag out of my locker and ran out past the gates, past the school past everything. A surge of anger flared up inside me and I could feel it climbing higher and higher until I realized that I was running for the trees. I groaned and ran on as the pain came. Hot seeping pains that licked at my limbs and made me sink to the ground. I groaned and then became still. It was gone. I lay for some time until I noticed my hand; it was not a hand anymore but a deep brown paw. I got up and realized that this was it, I had shifted. The anger coursed through my body again and I wanted to run and forget about every thing that had just happened.

                I ran through the trees, the wind whistling as I went by.  I felt free from all my hurts, my jeers and taunts. This was my freedom from it all. A growl ripped from my throat and I could feel my wolf inside me, telling me to run. I ran until I reached a small pile of dry leaves and then flopped down on it. I lay there panting and breathing in the sights and sounds of the forest, it was music to my ears. When I finally saw that it was growing dark I made my way back to the spot where I had dropped my bag and sighed. If I shifted I would be naked so I would have to go home. I gripped the bag in my teeth and ran towards my home, once there I shifted in the back and got in the backdoor before racing to my room.

                 The shower felt great. I threw on my only cotton night gown and some new underwear before dropping on my bed. The gift I got today would always be my best. I shut off my lamp and pulled up my covers. The smile on my face was enough to send me to sleep. I heard it before I felt it. My heart started to beat fast. Someone was in my room and I could not move. I lay stiff as a board as the bed sank down beside me. My heart was on fire but my body a frozen lump. A trail of tingles flowed through my exposed skin. “No!” I screamed. It trailed up my back and then settled at my neck. I inhaled and then a warm breath graced my ear. “You didn’t leave the window open,” he said. My eyes widened in the dark as the deep voice captured me... It was him, the one from the locker room. He reached down and kissed my cheek. I winced. I could barely see him in the dark. He grasped my hand and pulled me. I resisted and he snickered. His chest pressed against my back, the heat breaking through his shirt.  I wanted to scream and cry out for help but deep inside me something was happening. A warmth crept threw me as the breath on my neck grew faster. Something like a small pain passed me there and I gasped. He stopped and then drew back. “Sorry Maya,” he said. I became stolid until his hand landed on my shoulder.“NO!” I squeaked out. “What?” he asked.  I rolled out of the bed dragging the sheets behind me. The lamp snapped on and I pulled the sheets over my head.

                “What happened,” he asked. I held my breath and counted to three. “Leave,” I said, my only words. The bed moved and a hand fell on my head. “Leave,’ I repeated under the sheets. His hand lingered and then his footsteps receded. I heard the click of my window and then a sigh.