Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

                I see the sleek black rental car pull a tight left onto my street and I let a smile slide across my face. I shrug on my leather jacket and scrunch my hair one last time before leaving my room.

                “Where are you going?” My mom calls from in front of the television.

                “Uh— out?” I say stupidly, not really sure what to say.

                “’Kay,” she calls back, to wrapped up in her program to really care. She trusts me, which is good, I guess.  “Make sure to take the medicine for your head!” She shouts before I leave the house.

                “Alright!” I call back to her.

                I open the door to see Niall heading up onto my porch. “Ready,” he asks, opening the screen door for me.

                “Of course!” I smile. He goes to close the screen door and it slams loudly back into its frame, making him jump.

                “Sorry!” He says, looking at the door to see if he’s broken my house.

                I giggle. “Don’t worry about it!” I say tugging at his arm, pulling him down the steps. “It does that.” I explain.

                “So where to?” I ask as we get into the car once again.

                “I don’t know,” he says, turned around looking out the rear window as he backs out of my driveway. “I thought maybe we could do something fun then get some food.”

                I roll my eyes. Of course he wants food again. “A movie, then?” I suggest.

                “No,” he says, “I want to actually do something.”

                “Alright,” I frown, contemplating our options. “How about…bowling?”

                “Sounds fun!” His blue eyes light up.

                “Turn left,” I instruct.

* * *

                The bowling alley is only mildly crowded, as it’s in a fairly lazy area of town. There’s several bowling leagues practicing for tournaments, and some kids bowling for fun during the summer.

                Niall gets his shoe size and then the man at the counter turns to me. “What size?” he asks.

                “Er—8 and a half.” I mumble. My feet are really huge compared to the rest of my body.