3: clearly not unstable

a small amount of the dialogue in the movie will be different in this story since the only link i have to watch the movie is a low quality one that's filmed on a camcorder. i have to improvise based on what i think i hear them say and also reword it or make something up because sometimes it's just really difficult to understand what they say. :-)

---

"Walter," I say through my gritted teeth, stomping out the elevator before the guards even have a chance to escort me out.

     "Ah, Kate," Walter says, opening his arms as if I were going to tackle him in an affectionate embrace. "So nice of you to join us."

     I'm not taken aback by his usage of the word us because I see a line of men in dark suits in front of me—more guards. I start to wonder what all of this is and why Walter has gone out of his way to reach me, but as the men in dark suits step backwards, I realize which us it is that Walter is referring to. I stop in my tracks as though an invisible wall has kept me from continuing any further, my eyes widening and gazing in bewilderment at the people in front of me. Their own expressions are masked by the surprise as well, each of them frozen at the sight of me and all of us incredibly confused on what all of this means.

     I gape at the Horsemen as if I can't grasp onto the concept of their existence and they stare back at me the same way. Stealing a quick glance towards Lula, I know she has years worth of memories surging back to her because it is happening to me, as well. Right now she's the only one I can face to look in the eye for more than a second, aware that the rest most likely hate me. I don't even consider stealing a glance towards Jack because I don't think I'll be able to handle whatever expression is sketched upon him.

     "What is this?" I ask Walter, a large hand roughly guiding me closer to the group that has caused me much distress is a record-breaking amount of time.

     Walter shakes his head at the guard behind me. "No need for the aggression. Kate is very compliant, aren't you?"

     He waves his hand and beckons me to inch closer to his side. Knowing that his guards will force me if  don't, I hesitantly comply and only now notice the ridiculously blinding white suit he has on. He looks like a freaking Backstreet Boy. I stand by him with a reasonable amount of space between us, my eyes scanning the polished floor. I divert my thoughts away from Walter as I'm aware of Merritt's eagerness to peak into people's minds.

     "We were just in the middle of discussing how it is possible that your friends jumped off a rooftop in New York and landed all the way in Macau, China, right at my doorstep."

     "Maybe because you kidnapped them," I reply spitefully, crossing my arms over my chest.

     "I'm afraid it wasn't as parlous as you think," Walter says, once again unable to understand his incredibly wrong actions. "It was very simple, actually."

     "You know what's simple?" I ask, shifting my gaze to the high ceiling. "Calling someone you want to get ahold of instead of luring them in with falsely assured free pizza just so you could kidnap them."

     "You always were a bit tempered." Walter faintly laughs. "Maybe I should've sent a bouquet of roses to go along with the car ride."

     "I'm sorry," Daniel says, interrupting our back-and-forth banter after observing us with much consideration. "Am I missing something? Do you—Do you two know each other?"

     Almost as if it is instinct, I start to shake my head hoping that Danny lets it go and that Walter keeps his mouth shut on our past. I had almost completely erased it from my memory until the flashback from those elevator walls brought me back to a place that I wish I never came to the first time around.