C H A P T E R 2

Chapter 2: Familiar Faces

══════

   Once we landed they lowered my containment module into a room with the same type of material. It felt like I was going through a nasty hangover, my mouth dry and my stomach nauseas. The pounding in my head lessened to an occasional outburst. I couldn't think straight. The voices didn't completely go away, they simply softened to mumbles in head. Everything was jumbled up into one mess. Emotions were already a hard thing to process without having them enhanced. It just made it harder to wrap my head around this whole inhuman thing.

   I walked around the room— everything about it felt very sterile and pristine. I barely owned anything white, I always feared that I'd get it dirty. My legs buckled at the sight of the bed and I gave into the soft looking mattress. My body willingly sank into the cushion, my weariness taking over. I had just closed my eyes when the doors hissed open. Turning my head along the bedding, I watched a tall blonde walking towards me with a clip board in her hand.

   "Bobbi?"

   Her expression matched that of Coulson's when she first saw me, softened and apologetic, "Hey Soph."

   She gave me a kind smile as she let her arms hang by her side. Bobbi and I graduated the S.H.I.E.L.D academic at the same time. We both finished at the top of our class and became friends throughout the process. We worked well together so they partnered us up for a lot of ops.

   She's family. We looked out for each other. Gently, Bob placed the clip board on the nightstand and sat next to me on the bed. From above, her upper body blocked the fluorescent lights. It created a haloed effect around her, making her look angelic. A welcomed face during a time of uncertainty.

   A small line formed in between her brows in thought and worry settled behind her eyes. She looked at me like she was debating something. Whatever it was, she gave in. Her fingers tucked her blonde hair behind her ears neatly before she joined me. Lying beside me, her elbow bumped my elbow. Our knees bent off the end of the bed, the back of the mattress nuzzled behind them.

   Her fingers intertwined on top of her stomach, her pose mirroring mine. Forget me not. Those are the colors of her eyes, the same as the flowers. They are a lovely blue, quite fitting given their unforgettable qualities.

   It was odd being on the receiving end of one of her calculated stares. This was Agent Morse in front of me, although hits of Bob surfaced. The friend in her wanted to provide comfort, but the agent in her was send in her for a purpose I'm sure.

   "It's been a while, Sparrow."

   A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips at the sound of my old code name. I had retired the call sign after leaving S.H.I.E.L.D, not having heard it from people's lips in a while. It left me with a sense of longing, memories spilling into my head at the thought.

   "So... anything significant happen lately?" She jokingly asked. I let out a quiet chuckle and closed my eyes before nod my head softly.

   "If you want to call turning into an inhuman uneventful then yeah," I shrugged my shoulders, frowning as if it were no big deal.

   Forget me nots. Those blue irises stared into mine for a long moment before she drew herself to sit up. Agent Morse again. There was a tenderness to her tone as she exhaled deeply, "To start, we're going to run a few test... is that's alright with you?"

   I nod my head in agreement. Forcing myself, I sat up. Her arm reached for the clipboard and she thumbed through the pages. From our right, the door slid opened once more and two people wearing lab coats walk in.