-4-

"Erm... if you need someone.. to talk to, I'll listen.."

I recognized that voice.

I quickly wiped my eyes with my sleeve and left the girls' bathroom.

"Gray.." I said as I walked out to see him.

"Juvia? Was that you crying?"

My eyes widened and I looked nervously at the ground.

'He's going to laugh at me. He's going to call me a baby. He's not my friend after all.' was all I could think at that moment.

"What's wrong?"

I looked up with surprise. After expecting a nasty insult, I heard the opposite. A genuinely worried question.
I felt so warm inside for the first time in a long time, and tears formed in my eyes.

"H-hey, you don't have to cry anymore, c'mon...!"

I smiled and sat and leaned against the wall. He shortly did the same.

"I.. I have been bullied all my life. I have never had any real friends. I usually don't show my emotions to prevent getting hurt, but just now I was slapped and insulted a lot."

Gray turned his head from me to look at his feet.

"That sounds really hard to go through.. and alone too."

I nodded.

"Heh, they actually hurt me because they said I was 'stealing' you from them."

He quickly turned to me.

"It was those girls?"

He looked really concerned.

"Y-yeah? One was named Ultear, she seemed to be the leader of the pack.."

He sighed.

"That's my horrible ex-girlfriend. She thinks she still owns me even after I dumped her ass a while ago."

I let out a giggle.
'No no, I mustn't show emotion' I thought, forcing the laugh away.

I heard Gray let out a 'hm' so I looked at him.

"I've decided. I'll protect you from them, since this is pretty much my fault."