The Reason Why

Jay P.O.V.

4 Hours Earlier

I guess I kind of fooled you all with the whole going to Matizo takedown shit. I didn't actually give him any information that would put Z in danger. I knew I just couldn't do that to him.

Well, that might be a lie. If this hadnt gone according to plan, we could've all been on the losing end of the stick. So I guess I did give him information that could put Z in danger, sooo I didn't lie. Let me explain.

Z told me when he planned to break out, but he wouldn't tell me how he was doing it.

I will admit, I didn't think about snitching for two seconds. Two seconds! Can you blame me? I'm trying not to die here too!

We didn't talk for hours braiding each other's hair that night. Here's how the conversation basically went.

Z: "So, we've decided to break out. We have a plan that I don't want to tell you right now, but I want you to come with us."

Me: "Okay."

I didn't read too far into it. If someone wanted to break me out of this hell hole then fuck yeah I would go.

Anyway, I told Matizo a random date and he believed my ass, not that he had a choice. He was too excited about the thought of ruining Z's life that he didn't even bother to ask any questions about the information, which was great for me.

But on to the day my plan went into action, I basically avoided Z the whole day, right up until I told him what I needed to tell him....in note form.

Not because I thought it was cute or because I wanted to, but because I knew that Matizo was going to watch my every move right up until he got Z gone.

Look, don't ask questions. Don't look around. Just do what I'm asking you to do, for once. This is the only way that I'm saving both of our asses today, because if I don't, we both might as well kill each other right now. Enough with the small talk (script?). Anyway, here's what you're gonna do. You're gonna walk out of here right now and go get Red. Take a backpack with you. Something big enough to be suspicious, but small enough not to make someone stop you. You're going to get Red and take him with you into the back room of the commissions office. On the way there, look around like you're nervous or something.

Oh, and bring a pack of cards. (Don't worry about it. Just do it.)

I'm sure this all sounds very strange, but I'll explain later. If you're reading this that means you need to move now. Go, you stubborn idiot!

- Jay

I knew that the only guard that would be dumb enough to follow Matizo's snitching was about to go off duty. Red had mentioned one time that he was looking for a promotion and would do just about anything for it, including trying to catch runaway prisoners, although I thought that came with the territory.

So, I was paying him a little visit and chatting him up in the cafeteria. And in comes Matizo and his pet. I couldn't have planned it any better if I'd wanted to. I caught his eye by staring at him. People always know when they're being stared at. I titled my head back ever so quickly back towards commissions and looked away. He got the message. I quickly ended my conversation with the guard and when he turned to walk away, so did I.

He would automatically think that I was talking to the guard to distract him, so I knew I only had a few minutes to act.

Once I turned the corner, I ran to commissions, giving the special knock and racing past Lopez. "If some guards come in here, tell them we're in the back."