Breakout: part 2

(Venir was introduced in the chapter: Grown Man, Boy Shit)

The accent was clearly fake and for that I was relieved. For a second, I thought that it was Z's past boy, but it wasn't. It was Venir. 

I would've forgotten all about him had it not been for the whole incident I had with him at the commissions store. He was the one who had all those zeroes in his commissions account. The one who bought the orange juice because the guy behind him in line was rushing him to get one. And then threw it at him. I never saw him again after that, despite him saying that he wanted to be my 'friend'. 

"Oh, thank God. I thought you were someone else." 

"Don't feel relieved yet."

I paused. "What do you mean? You're my friend right?" 

He sneered. His demeanor was completely opposite that of what he showed me at the commissions desk. "Oh no, I wanted to be your friend to get close to Z, to put him in solitary where the warden wants him to be."

I shook my head. "What good does that do you?" 

"Oh, the warden is my...benefactor if you will. I get my money from him and I don't like my money being stopped."

Money. 

He had money. 

We needed money. 

And not Z's money. We needed clean money. Money that could be pulled out of an ATM. Z had money being held by a person that we couldn't get to right now.

"But wouldn't you rather be on the outside?" I didn't bother trying to bullshit him. He knew what was going on. 

"I'd rather have my money."

I turned around to face Justin. "Look, go down there and help them. I'll be behind you soon okay? We'll be okay." 

"But-."

"Go. Or we're gonna be caught and Z will never forgive you. And you know he'll find a way to torture you, even if you're still in this hellhole." 

Venir spoke up. "You're gonna get caught either way, unless you can get me my money. But you know what? I'll let you taste the outside world before I snitch on you and you come back to solitary. So go." 

"But-."

"Fucking go Justin." I hissed. After that, he listened and I watched his head disappear into the ground. 

I turned back to Venir. His story didn't make sense. When I saw his balance at commissions, I knew even then that he had more than enough money to buy whatever else he wanted in the prison for the rest of his life. He didn't need more money. "It's just you and me. We can make it out of here. But you've got to tell me what you want, because somehow I think it's more than money you're looking for." 

V P.O.V. 

Fucking hell. We had been sitting in these bushes for about six minutes now. "Red, I'm about to go back." 

He grabbed my arm tightly. "You can't. Not now. It's too late. They'll be here. Just give them a second." 

About 30 seconds later, we heard a bump against the Earth and I scrambled to my feet before crouching again. I can't let people see me. I saw Justin's head appear and I sighed. 

Thank God.

But then that was it. I never saw Jay come out. 

"Justin."