Trouble

My feet automatically stepped back from the looming cell and the monstrosity it housed. Fighting to bring my heart back down to its rightful place, I looked over to the grinning SCP. His corrosive fingers wrapped around the bars of the cell as he considered me.

"Good morning, Larry," I said stiffly. "I was wondering when you would awaken from your dormant state."

"Oh forgive me," his voice thick with malice. "I was left with little choice but to attempt a luring technique. Prey has been hard to come by."

I made a sound of disgust at his hunger for bloodshed. "There will be no chance of you to prey on helpless victims, Larry. Your containment is permanent."

"You could provide the common courtesy of throwing in a Class D personnel," SCP-106 pointed out. "Or has the SCP Foundation changed their policy?"

"I don't know if there has been a policy change," I admitted, "but regardless, that does not give you the right to viciously attack a Class D personnel."

"Viciously attack?" SCP-106's expression changed into a look of question. "I only attempted to frighten the useless prisoner."

"Whatever you wish to call that, it was uncalled for and highly unnecessary," I sighed.

"He provoked me and I reacted," Larry said, simply. "Now, answer me a question, William. What are you doing back here? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought your plan was to escape the Foundation."

"I work here now," I answered briefly.

"Care to elaborate?" Larry demanded more of an answer.

I sighed and said," Dr Lancur thought I showed potential. My survival of the containment breach was deemed to be impressive and therefore I was recruited."

Larry considered me for a few moments before throwing his head back with laughter. The sounds of delight and amusement were grating as his voice never abandoned its rough quality.

"You are assisting the organisation that tore away your freedom?" Larry asked, incredulously.

"They have offered me an excellent opportunity," I tried to justify my decision. "Besides, knowing what danger lurks within these walls has spurred me to keep it contained."

"William, the danger does not exist within these walls," Larry corrected me calmly. "It exists out there. Beyond these walls are monstrosities far worse than any SCP."

I opened my mouth to answer but was interrupted by the infernal beeping of my pager.

"I have to go now," I said. "Don't try anything while I'm gone."

Larry's expression looked bemused as he gestured to his formidable cell in response.

Without another word, I ascended the stairs briskly eventually breaking into a run to the main hall. A sinking feeling erupted in my stomach as I remembered how negligent I had been. My tour group had fled the containment area in trepidation and I had not pursued. Rounding the corner and almost sliding on the slippery floor, I entered the main hall and was greeted by a fuming Dr Ash.

"Dr Ash," I said, breathlessly. "You called?"

"No, Dr Lancur called," Dr Ash pursed her lips at me. "You are required at his office."

"Okay........" I nodded my head and turned to leave.

I was definitely in trouble. I allowed my shaky steps to guide me down the hallways until I was at Dr Lancur's door. With a sigh, I raised my fist to knock but the door was pulled open suddenly. Dr Lancur stood in the doorway, his face etched with disappointment and anger.