Sunday

I woke up to the smell of pancakes. Finally, it's Sunday, I thought. 

I slowly crawl out of bed, noticing it was only 8 o'clock. I jumped up and danced around a little bit, because since it was this early I might be able to escape Emily's wrath. I throw on a pair of nice shorts and one of my favorite shirts, and brush my hair. I leave my room at 8:45, which is just enough time to grab breakfast without anyone down there. 

I walk into the cafeteria, unnoticed as usual. I got the first batch of pancakes, and sat alone in at the tables. Barely anyone was up yet, so I pulled out my phone and tried to get ahold of Dani. No one answered, just like I had expected. I was halfway finished with my food when Ms. Schmitt interrupted me. 

"You're up early," she starts, taking the seat across from me. 

I nod, still chewing. "Oh yeah, I smelled the pancakes and it woke me up."

She smiles, slightly hopeful. "How have you been?"

I look at her, deciding how to answer while taking another bite of the fluffy goodness. "Lonely, but it is what it is." 

She sighs, "Well, I got in touch with a few more people who are considering adopting, and you will be the first one offered. I have been thinking about what you said, and I do not think that it is fair for you to have been here so long. I am sincerely sorry that you have been stuck here."

"Ms. Schmitt, it is not your fault, and it could be a lot worse. I have a good life here, besides the bullying. It truly is all right." 

"Lily, I am also sorry about the bullying. We have been trying to control that." 

"I know," I reply. 

"All right, well you're done with your food. We will see what we can do. For today, I am going to be in touch with the families looking to expand, and let you know."

"Thank you," I say. "Since I finished my homework, could I possibly go to the park today? There's a ballet tonight and I wanted to go see it." 

She considers it for a minute, and then stands up. "You can go, but you must take George with you. He has been needing a day out." 

I hold my complaints to myself and thank her for the permission. I put my dishes away and head upstairs, waiting for George to come tell me he is ready. While I wait, I turn on Sleeping With Sirens, and begin to reminisce in the memories that Dani, Charlie, and I made. I laugh until I cry at the old pictures I had in my hands.

Pretty soon I hear a knock on my door. Expecting it to be George, I grab my purse and open the door. "Let's go George-" I stop, standing in front of Ms. Schmitt. 

"Lily," she says shaking. "Come with me."