✩ One ✩

Congrats on winning second in my contest, edsasukeluva! I hope you like it!!

Pairing: [Reader] x Sasuke

Genre: Romance, Smut, Slight Angst

Extra: Modern Setting

Rating: 17+ (may be higher depending on later situations)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

There were no tears, no grim feelings, just nothing.

She watched with bated breath as the two before her tilt their heads to gently kiss each other. It wasn't until clapping ensued that she noticed where she was: the wedding of her beloved sister. As the two love birds smiled at each other after their kiss, [Name] tore her eyes away from the two, glancing at anything but them.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," the minister stated as he softly closed the book in his hands, "Mr. and Mrs. Itachi Uchiha."

The [h/c] female instinctively raised her hands and clapped furiously along with the rest of the bridesmaids. As her eyes returned to her sister, she forced a satisfied smile, but unbeknownst to everybody, she was far from excited. No one knew about the sharp pain stabbing her heart, breaking it into a million pieces.

>>>>>>>>>

"His bride looks quite lovely," the groom's mother commented as she stood beside her beaming husband.

"Well, I would have preferred Itachi marry another Uchiha, but she is a woman of caliber," he nodded. His eyes wandered around and fixated on a busy [Name] in the distance. "Ah, if it isn't my son's sister-in-law?"

The young woman turned her head, her optics sliding over to land on his form, "Mr. Uchiha!" She traveled a few steps over to him with a glass of wine in her hands. Even though it was early into the reception, she needed all the alcohol in the vicinity if she wanted to trudge through the rest of the evening without ruining anything. Bowing slightly at her sister's in-laws, she continued with the utmost respect, "Thank you for taking the time to attend. I know you have a hectic work schedule."

A firm nod signaled his acknowledgment of her polite words; she did not expect a grand reply from him since he wasn't a man of many words, like most Uchiha men, and like most Uchiha men, they relied on the women to participate in the party banters.

"As I was telling my husband, you did an excellent job putting everything together," his wife spoke as she flashed [Name] a kind smile.

"Well, it is nowhere near what your family is capable of throwing, but I'm glad it's up to your standards."

The professionalism in her tone was thick as she wanted nothing more than to show the capability her family has of marrying an Uchiha. It also masked her need to run far away from this reception, away from them and everyone else in here. It didn't help that all the guests chattered endlessly about her sore spot even when she was near them. She could hear the same statement being reiterated over and over again:

"It's amazing how things work. She filled in for her sister's blind date, and now this happens!"

She cringed, and after enduring a few more of those comments, she escaped to the open bar. For the remainder of the night, she established a home on the bar stool as she gazed at the happy faces of the married couple. They weren't grinning like idiots since it wasn't in either of their natures to do so, but they seemed blissfully satisfied.

Yes, the world worked in such miraculous ways. [Name] could remember how she would always sit two tables away from Itachi in a coffee shop down the street from her work. She would steal glances from him as he quietly read his book every afternoon. After a few weeks, she decided to speak to him, and when she got to know him, his clever yet humble nature made her swoon.