Chapter I

"What?" I asked shocked.

"Kylie, it's only for 2 weeks." my papa, Alec, said to me.

"I don't want to go stay at the Institute with her." I pointed to my Grandmother Maryse. My dads had decided to on a romantic vacation for their 20th wedding anniversary. They didn't trust me, even though I'm 20 years old to stay at the mansion by myself. Now they're suggesting I stay with a monster for the next 2 weeks.

"Kylie Amanda Bane - Lightwood! You will treat your Grandmother with respect." Papa said. "Magnus! Help me out here." My dad walked up to me and started whispering in my ear.

"Kylie, do this for me, okay? She wants to hang out with you. And it's only for 2 weeks. Also while you're there, Maryse has offered to train you. You said you wanted to become a shadowhunter, now you can with the right training." my dad eventually convinced me to go with the monster.

"Okay go pack, you leave in 2 hours. How about, mom, you help Kylie pack?" my papa suggested. She only nodded and followed me as I went upstairs to my room.

"Okay pack 2 weeks worth of clothes and a few outfits to train in. Plus any essentials of course." Maryse said. I nodded and grabbed my bag out from under my king size bed. I set the bag up onto the bed and walked to my connected bathroom. Grabbing the essentials, I walked back out and put them in the bag.

"Would you like me to help you find appropriate clothing for the next 2 weeks?" She asked. Why was she trying to be nice to me?

"If you would like." I said. I guided her out of the bedroom and into the walk in closet.

"You have a lot of clothes." She pointed out. She walked over to my vanity and looked at all the makeup I had. "You also have a lot of makeup. Some are still in its packaging." She said.

"Will you stop talking about all the stuff I have and grab my travel kit of makeup under the vanity." I said. She nodded and ducked under to grab it. When she finally pulled it out, she looked surprised.

"Travel kit? This is the size of a good sized duffel bag. And its full of makeup." Maryse complained. I just rolled my eyes. What did she expect of the daughter of Magnus Bane?

Maryse put the bag by the door and walked over to my exercise clothes section.

"Good selection of name brand clothes. All of these are terrific for training." She commented.

"Papa had picked them out. Pick which ones you want and the amount of outfits for training you think will be enough." She picked her favorite 10 outfits. And the thing is all of them were leggings and sports bra matchings. 8 were black. 1 was white. And the last one was red.

"Alec has good taste. I think this should be enough." She put the outfits on top of the travel kit and heading to my black tight dresses I would wear occasionally to Pandemonium. "All of these dresses could be turned into combat outfits. I would like you to wear a couple. Most girls your age are dying to wear these kind of dresses demon hunting but they're too expensive." She picked out 3 of those and set the with the now growing pile. In picked a few casual clothes and some PJs.

We carried all the clothes, the travel kit, and a few necklaces the Maryse insist I bring to my bedroom and put them in the bag.

"All done?" She asked as I zipped up the bag. I nodded and picked it up. It was a little heavy but nothing I couldn't handle. We walked downstairs to be greeted by my grandfather Robert.

"Let me get that for you." He motioned to my bag.

"I got it. And sides, your wife went a little overboard on the clothes and it will seem really heavy." He just laughed it off and opened the door. Maryse walked out and I followed. Outside my dad and Papa were waiting.

"Okay, here's the rules. Don't use your magic unless needed. Listen to your grandparents. Don't get in fights unsupervised." Papa said to me the hugged me bye.

"Unless someone throws the first punch. Then we highly suggest that you kick their butts." My dad added the hugged me goodbye. I put my bag in the back of my grandparents car then hopped into the backseat.

1 hour later

We arrived at the Institute and looked the same. The old church looked untouched since the last time I saw it. I got out of the car and went to grab my bag but Uncle Jace beat me to it.

"When did you get out here?" I asked.

"Pay attention and you would have saw me come out when you guys pulled up. Let's go inside." He mentioned me inside. Maryse and Robert followed but once we were inside, they left me with Uncle Jace.

"Okay so your room is right here." He pointed at a door then opened it to clarify. "If you need anything else just ask." He handed me my bag and left. I walked into the room and shut the door behind me. This room was so plain. Like very plain. I set the bag on the bed and laid down. A few minutes later I hears a knock on my door. I got up and opened to see my Grandmother Maryse standing on the other side.

"Okay I have a little mission I guess you could say this week. First things first, lets change that name."