A White Rose on a dazzling dress

October 1483

Luckily, Richard wasn’t as dubious about the idea as Anne had suspected. He was thrilled, in fact. Anne was in charge of almost everything: all the planning, overseeing preparations and choosing them outfits, as well as one for their little Edward. It was all a rush, since All Souls Day was approaching at a rapid rate - less than a week. But it was worth every minute of it, when Anne was laced into her new gown and took a look at her reflection.

There didn’t seem to be any words in Anne’s throat to describe her reflection, although they flooded through her mind as the sight made her dizzy. It was beautiful. It was amazing. It was almost blinding.

Richard had ordered the most expensive and fine fabrics to be used to make her dress, yet the costume itself was a design purely by Anne. It was a high-waisted black dress, with red damask; its beautiful Trumpet sleeves were trimmed with ermine and gold. Beth, her rather shy lady in waiting, placed some intricate gold necklaces onto her neck along with the Middleham Jewel - this was Anne’s favourite of them all. It was always the proudest and richest part of her outfit, and always would be, whether she was wearing her coronation robes or a beggar’s rags.

Nervously, Anne readjusted her silky black veil. Beth gulped and peered over at The Queen curiously.

“Is…is there something the matter, your majesty? Is there something that needs to be corrected?”

Anne shook her head slowly.

“It is…it is just ever so perfect! I cannot believe that something so exquisite should exist,” she whispered disbelievingly. “Out of all my gowns, somehow, this is one of the most beautiful. My father, Lord Warwick, always wanted to see either me or my sister on the throne or England. He wanted us to be the most important and impressive ladies in the kingdom. I wish that he was here to see me now, along with my poor sister Isabel. I miss them every day, you know. It hurts to think of them. And Isabel, she was all alone. She needed me,” Anne felt her eyes sting ferociously. Tears were slipping from her and she was furious with herself. She was the Queen of England. She would not cry, not now.

“Your majesty…” Beth handed her a small piece of linen to dry her eyes with, but Anne refused.

“I am a Neville and of that I shall always be proud. And I shall always be of the House of York. My father would be proud now to see his daughter. But there will be no more wars, no more battles. Not whilst I am alive and not whilst my line survives. Richard and I have saved England. Ours will be a happy and joyful reign. It will be happy because we love each other. Ours was not an arranged marriage,” Anne examined her reflection even more closely and then a thought struck her.

“Will you go into the gardens and pick a rose for me? A white rose. I must wear it to show my undying loyalty to the House of York. It has never wavered. Once I thought I would be a Lancastrian Queen, but I have never been so wrong. It was my father’s worst mistake.”

Queen Anne observed as Beth curtseyed and hurried from the room, down the spiral staircase and towards the gardens. The Halloween celebrations were in less than an hour and she had to make a grand entrance. Yet, Anne knew that she could care nothing for it unless her husband and son were at her side. So she tiptoed from the room, leaving the door ajar and glided through the corridors and into Richard's rooms. 

© 2013 by Eliza Wood. All rights reserved. 

Inspired by The White Queen