Night Resistance

Chapter One

Giselle

                 I snuggled closer to the sheets all around me, enjoying the warmth the comforter provided. This was one cold morning and I can stay in here all day, cuddled inside the comfy bed. I shut my eyes tighter as I deciphered a bright ray of light beaming through the windows. I tucked my head under my blanket and blocked the light from reaching my eyes. I sighed, enjoying the coziness my bed offered. But then, all of a sudden, my sleep was disturbed when my phone started playing the music of ‘Price Tag by Jessie J’ that began from a low volume until it gradually got louder. Allowing a groan to escape my lips, I ducked my head under my pillow and outreached for my phone on the bedside table. I hit the snooze button without even looking and felt myself drop back to sleep.

                 Who was responsible for setting the alarm at this time in the morning? It’s weekend for goodness sake! No classes intended today. Mentally cussing the person to blame, I allowed myself to drift off to my dreamland for the hundredth time of the day.

                 “Elle! Elle, wake up.” someone harshly shook my shoulders, calling me by my nickname. I flicked my wrists dismissively at the utterly familiar voice and grunted in frustration. I’m a lazy butt especially in the morning… I hate getting out of bed until about twelve o’ clock when the sun’s high up in the sky.

                 “Go away.” I muttered… my voice came out groggy and muffled since I had my head tucked under the pillow.

                 “Come on! You said we’re gonna go out to celebrate” she whined, incessantly tugging on my left arm. That alerted me. I promised my best friend Shinaira that we will go out early in the morning to celebrate her birthday. I don’t break promises, but I always lost track of time.

                 I sat up straight, causing the pillow above my head to be thrown off onto the ground. “Was that today?” I asked, my eyes half closed. She pouted at me, her puppy dog eyes even getting worse. I sighed wearily, “Fine” I said, rubbing my eyes while yawning.

                Getting up from my bed, I felt a sudden weight jumping on top of me, causing me to stumble over and fall back to bed. Allowing a small shriek to escape my lips, I looked up to see Shinaira giggling while sitting on top of me. I preferred calling her Sin because she doesn’t like being called by her full name.

                 “Thanks Elle! And I have a surprise for ya!” She laughed, engulfing me into a bear hug. Oh no! There comes the nickname again!

                Feeling my eyes lit up at her choice of words, I hugged her back. “What is it Sin?”

                She gave me her ‘we-are-going-to-get-in trouble’ smile as she jumped off me. “Not yet Elle, I will tell... well show ya when we are done with the shopping.” A small smile broke onto her face.

                However, her nose scrunched up at the word shopping, she hates shopping as much as she hates school—we are quite similar if you would say.

                I laughed at her face while I flipped off my bed and grabbed my clothes for the day. A blood red tank top that fitted my body like a glove, then a pair of ripped blue washed jeans that I paired with my black combat boots. Ranking a hair brush through my raven black hair with normal red streaks, I twisted it up on a ponytail. It’s sort of… strange. Those red streaks I have in my hair grew normally when I reached my tenth birthday…creepy, but I have learned to cope up with it.