Chapter 1 (Milly)

I can’t believe high school is already over. It’s a new chapter and I can’t help but feel both excited and apprehensive. I’m apprehensive about leaving home, about going to France by myself for three months, and about being out of school. It’s scary! But mostly I’m afraid of sticking out like a sore thumb. What if my French isn’t good enough, or my accent is wrong? I mean I’ve only ever spoken French to my mom. The conductor announcing that the train leaving for Antibes would depart in 5 minutes brought me back to reality. It’s now or never, and I’ve got nothing holding me back, so why not go to Antibes for the summer?

I rushed to the ticket office to buy my one-way ticket and then hastily made my way to the train afraid of missing its departure. I tightened the straps of my old backpack and clutched the books in my hand closer to my chest. Stepping aboard the train I caught murmurs of Salut and Ça va bien? But none of these were addressed to me. I passed a sea of faces while walking down the aisle. Laughter ringed above the cheerful chatter and I turned my head towards the sound. It was him.

His golden brown hair framed his warm face, and as he chuckled I couldn’t help but smile. His warm hazel eyes met mine. I quickly looked away – he must be wondering who this crazy person is that’s staring right at him.  I could feel his eyes on me as I walked down the aisle. As my cheeks burned I tried to act like nothing had happened.

Suddenly the train jerked forward and as I reached out to steady myself I dropped my book and all its pages went scattering . . . right next to him.  What a great start to my trip. At that moment we both lent forward to gather up my things. I fumbled around awkwardly to pick up the pages, blushing once again out of embarrassment. He, on the other hand, effortlessly swept up the loose pages and passed them to me in a neat pile. While still crouched on the floor I finally looked up and our eyes met for the second time. I quickly mumbled thanks as I stood up to walk away and find a seat. But before I could leave he gently grabbed my arm and I turned toward him.

“Please come sit with us,” he said with an enchanting smile, gesturing behind him. My heart fluttered. I looked to where he was pointing and a girl smiled in my direction. I cautiously sat down in the seat across from him and looked up, waiting for him to say something.

“Sorry, I don’t think I caught your name?” he asked.

“Oh it’s Milly,” I quickly replied.

“Hi, I’m Evan. Evan Brown.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have dedicated the first chapter to our first reader, WatchingEyes. Your input is greatly appreciated. And a massive thank you to everyone who has voted and commented! Keep reading x