Chapter 3

It wasn't the first time Sam tried to run away from home.... He looked around at all the kids on the bus, some of them he knew...others he didn't. He sat next to a short boy, wearing glasses buried in a book. He hadn't even looked up when Sam sat down, but he didn't mind so much, he could use the silence, needed time to think. He stared out the window, as the bus pulled out of the parking lot. It wasn't really running away, he would be back in a week. Dean was gonna kill him, or worse... he would tell dad, but he decided that he wasn't going to think of that right now.

The bus made its way out of town, and started down a dark highway. The sky was grey and looked as if it was about to rain...again. Sam turned to the kid next to him, who was still buried in his book.

"Hey, whatchya reading?" Sam said, glancing at him and then back out the window. He needed the small distraction after all.

"Night of the Living Dead, it's a Goosebumps book." The kid said without even looking up. "You ever read one before?" He looked up for a brief second. Sam shook his head. "They're pretty good, if you're into that kind of thing." The boy replied. Sam smiled. What was it with the kids in this town? Everyone seemed to be obsessed with the things that go bump in the night.

"Are you into that kind of thing?" Sam asked half wondering, half just trying to make conversation.

The boy shut his book, keeping his finger in the page, so as not to lose his spot, and looked at Sam, "I don't know. I haven't ever seen anything that says that ghosts, and demons, and monsters....angels... even God is real, but I don't know...they do kind of fascinate me." He waited for Sam to respond, but Sam didn't really know what to say. "What about you, you believe in that kind of thing?"

"Uhm... I don't know, maybe I guess." He didn't want to lie, but he didn't want to tell the truth either. The bus took another turn, now they started heading deeper into the mountains. "How far is this camp?"

"Oh, you've never been before?" The boy replied.

"First time." Sam said.

"It's about another half hour or so." The boy paused, looking about ready to re-open his book. "I'm Eric by the way."

"Sam." The boys exchanged looks for a moment, and then Eric decided to go back to his book. Sam stared out the window, waiting to arrive at the camp.

-------------------------------------

It was getting dark before Dean got back home. He spent hours looking for his brother, trying to figure out where he may have gone. But he never found him. It wasn't the first time Sam had done this. When he was eight, he ran away to the park after they had a fight while dad was gone. He was gonna kill him for doing this to him again! He fought back tears that were creeping into his eyes. He threw his bag against the wall, "Stupid!" he muttered under his breath. There was nothing he could do now though. He would wake up early tomorrow and hit the road to look for his brother.

The phone started to ring. Dean glared at it, of course, why wouldn't it be ringing right now. He knew it wasn't Sam but he walked over and picked it up anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hey Dean, its Bobby"

"Oh hey Bobby" Dean said, pretty relieved that he had called. Bobby was an old friend of dads, a hunter himself; he had taught the boys the ins and outs of life as a hunter when dad wasn't around. He was basically a second father to them.

"Hey, your dad called me wanted me to check in on you every couple days or so, make sure everything was going okay."

"Yeah, everything is fine, just hanging out at home, eating too much and watching too much tv, you know, the works." Dean lied.