Chapter 12

Alice was confused when she woke up, but it quickly came flooding back. At least Rainer hadn't seen her sick. She hadn't started getting migraines until Frank. Now, whenever she felt stressed she got the,m which was why she was so honest all the time because if she was honest she had a lot less stress.

She got out of bed, taking the robe out of the closet. It was way too big for her, and she had just belted it when Rainer came into the room.

"So much for one size fits all." She smiled at his reflection in the mirror.

"You look better."

"I am thank you, it was just a headache."

"No, it was a migraine, and those are generally brought on by stress."

She shrugged not sure what to say.

"Are you hungry?"

"Not really." She walked past him into the rest of the suite. "This is nice." It was a very nice room, it had a large living area with a couch, arm chair, a large round table with chairs, a T.V. and there was a balcony. Rainer must have been working because the table was full of papers and a laptop.

She lay down on the couch putting her arm over her eyes as sleep claimed her again

*******

He kept mentally kicking himself for kissing her. He should have never done it. He had never lost control like that before even with Yvonne.

Rainer continued to work as best he could, glancing over to check on her every now and then. He had gotten an extra blanket from the closet in her room and covered her, how could he feel the urge to protect her and devour her all at the same time? He had no idea how that was possible. It felt like he had known her forever and it made him nervous because it made him want to share things with her that he had never even shared with his family.

He leaned back in his chair running his hands through his hair. He wondered what had brought on the headache. Had it been the snake, his kiss, or his family? He grimaced, it was probably his family, they had given him a headache. They never allowed for privacy. If it happened to one of them it happened to all of them.

Alice looked so delicate and innocent. She had no idea what he was capable of doing to her. He hadn't even done it and he was disgusted with himself. He rose and walked out onto the balcony restless.

He had thought there was something in him that was broken and, until he had meet Alice five days ago, he hadn't even been interested in fostering the most careless of relationships, but now he was worried for her. Would he be able to turn off the worry he felt for her in two weeks when this project was finished? He hadn't worried about another person since Yvonne, and even then he had only been mildly concerned for her safety.

His mind wandered back to Yvonne. Had six years passed already?

Yvonne had been the type that Alice referred to as his type. She had been tall and dark though, not blond. Exotic would describe her best. She was from Brazil and he had been hooked the moment he had meet he and so had every other man she met.

She loved attention, and she had been full of life with an air of mystery about her that had pulled Rainer in like all of the men she met. The relationship had been exciting. As a photo journalist, she traveled as much as he had, so their meetings would always take place in foreign locations under dramatic and tense conditions. It was great for the libido, but not for fostering a true relationship.

He had been on the verge of asking her to marry him when a fellow journalist told him about the sexy photographer he had met on his last story. She had been crazy and the sex had been great. He couldn't remember her name but wait, he had a picture. When the man had pulled out a picture of him and Yvonne he hadn't been heartbroken, but it had knocked him back a bit. He had obvious felt something she didn't, at least where matters of the heart were concerned, but in the end none if it had mattered because she had been killed in a bus crash while in West Africa only a few short weeks later.