Chapter Three: The Storm

For Rye, the next few weeks were spent in blur of mindless obedience. Froth, Bolt, and Red Flower noticed his zombie-like state almost immediately, and, while Rye was out on his tenth hunting trip, the three decided to discuss his condition in their den.

"I'm worried that he'll stay like this forever," Froth muttered crestfallenly. "And then that would mean the end of our adventures, and that last one reslly did something for him!"

Bolt nodded solemnly. "Yes, he cannot act like this anymore. It isn't healthy for him or for us."

Red Flower looked, and was, the saddest. She shined much dimmer than usual and sat on Rye's nest of fresh moss and leaves with her head lowered. She heaved a silent but still heavy sigh.

"We need to do something," Froth yipped in exasperation. "At least, something other than sitting here all sad and depressed!"

Bolt looked up at his daughter and raised an eyebrow. "What do you suggest?"

Red Flower suddenly got an idea and lit up to her normal brightness. With a glowing finger she etched a note in the stone floor of the den:

"I say we confront Hazel and attempt to make her mend their relationship. If she needs extra convincing, I have reason to believe that Rolf will gladly assist."

Froth nodded with a look of determination. "Right. And one of us can talk to Rye and make him do the same!"

"I know some others who would be more than willing to see Rye back on his feet," Bolt said gruffly. "I can go speak with them."

Red Flower nodded and wrote in reply: "Very well. And I shall track down Rye and have a discussion with him."

"That leaves me to go to Rolf and Hazel," Froth murmured anxiously. "Hey, Pops, wanna switch with me?"

"Not a chance," Bolt growled good-naturedly.

"Shame...." Froth gulped and then took a deep breath. She stood slowly.

"Ready?" Bolt huffed as he heaved himself off the floor.

Red Flower nodded determinedly a single time, Froth muttered a barrly audible "Ehh... I guess so", and the group exited the den and parted ways.

***********

Rye was helping Rock carry a deer back to the Dens. At first, the Neverwolf paid no mind when a glowing red form began fluttering around his head. He heard her voice, but he had gotten very good at tuning her and all others out unless it was someone important, such as the Alphas.

"Rye! Rye, listen to me!" the tree spirit shouted. Red Flower scoffed and grabbed Rye's ear. She then pulled as hard as her little body would let her.

Rye yelped and dropped the deer, making Rock half- jump and half-stumble. The larger wolf glared at Rye.

"What is the matter with you, pup?" he snarled. "You've been acting way too loopy for my taste."

Rye ignored Rock and turned, bristling, to Red Flower. "What do you want that is so awfully, and painfully, important?!"

"I.. I think you should try to talk t-to Hazel," Red Flower said boldly.

Rye froze. He vouldn't believe his ears. "Are you crazy? What could she possibly have to say to me that she hasn't said yet?"

"She may be itching to apoligize. I know you are," Red Flower said softly. "What do you say, my friend?"

"If you know for a fact that she wants to apoligize, then you get back to me," he growled roughly. "Until then, I haven't got a sister."