Chapter Four: To Break the Ancient Laws

The Pack of the Waning Moon had been living in and around the Mountain for weeks, too afraid to go back to their dens. They feared the river and what it was capable of doing to their ranks. Rafe and Fleur sat at the cave that led into the Mountain, staring out through the fog of dawn into the forest cautiously.

"Rafe, surely it is safe to return by now," Fleur murmured with a sidelong glance at Rafe. "The river has to be calmer than it was."

Rafe narrowed his eyes, but did not respond to his mate.

"My love?" Fleur whispered shakily, turning to face him. "Did you hear me? Can we not return to the dens yet?"

"I heard you," he growled. "But no. We shall not return. Ever. It hasn't been long enough. Bolt was not the only wolf we lost because of that storm. The Pack will never return."

Fleur opened her mouth to speak, but thought better of it and turned to look back out at the forest.

**************************

Rye tore through he forest after his prey. The doe swerved toward the river, but Rolf jumped out at it from the bushes. Then Hazel cut it off from another direction. The three wolves began to close in on the frantic doe. It's eyes bugged as it glanced from Neverwolf to Neverwolf.

Gotcha, Rye thought to himself. As he tensed to jump, he froze in fear. He heard it coming before he saw it. He spun around to see a colossal wave of water looming menacingly over himself, Hazel, and Rolf.

The wave crashed down around an unsuspecting Rolf, prompting Rye and his sister to streak off into the forest. The wave pursued them loudly, tearing down trees and anything else in its path.

It was catching up to them... Rye could almost feel it on his hind legs. Hazel yelped from behind him, and Rye turned to see her disappear beneath the wave. He shook his head in disbelief, but kept on even faster.

The young wolf burst out into the clearing by those cliffs and skidded to a stop. He saw a steady trickle of water falling from the cliffs, a trickle which slowly expanded into a stream, then almost a river, and, soon, a full surge of water crashed over the cliff top. He ran back to the edge of clearing, but stopped as the wave from before crashed in to meet him. He cowered in fear as the water surged around him, and then he went under.

************************************

Rye's eyes jerked open and he jumped to his feet. He glanced around the cave in which he had chosen to sleep. Next to him lay Froth, who tossed and turned, and some of the other younger Neverwolves.

He silently padded out into the main cave and to the jagged end of the path that had been felled not long ago. Rye leaned cautiously over the edge and peered into the darkness below. He could smell the water, and he shuddered as flashes from his dream crept back into his mind.

Along with the smell of water, however, was the smell of humans. Their scent still lingered here from that time all those sunrises ago when he and Froth came across them. He wondered to where this destroyed stone path had led before the humans arrived here.

"Big, isn't it?" a deep voice growled from directly behind him.

Rye spun around to see Rafe sitting there, his eyes glinting in the dark.

****************************

Fox sat in the cavern, finally growing bored with his daily routine of, well, nothing. He stood and went toward the place he thought was the exit, and felt the wall. Sure enough, it opened slowly when he touched a certain point. But Fox quickly realized that it wasn't because of him as this little group of lights fluttered toward him.