Chapter 9: Realm Of Secrets

Who is the Woman? What does she know about me? Is she a threat? What should I do???' Zaria was facing an avalanche of doubts with the element of fear added to it. She was conflicted between the two options she could think of at the moment 'FIGHT OR FLIGHT?' Zaria's fists were tightly clenched, and her heart beat increased four folds.

"It's alright," Miriam's voice was sweet and assuring. "I am just another person like you with a weird fate." She said. But Zaria wasn't buying any of it. She knew better than to trust a weird fortune-teller who knew about her more than she could guess. Her current situation had made her vulnerable to all strangers and she understood it well.

"How can I believe you?" Zaria heightened her guard.

"You don't have to believe me, I will help you control your powers and I won't stop you if you just leave after that."

"Powers?!" Zaria gave a humorless chuckle. "Are you not too old to play witches and wizards, old woman?" Ateel raised a brow at Zaria's comment which was easily ignored by Zaria. "I am a normal person. A human, if you comprehend. And humans do not have any powers. So please stop wasting my time." Zaria turned around ready to leave.

"Look who's talking?" Zaria heard Miriam's voice behind her. "Then try to explain today's events".

"As I said I don't owe any sort of explanations to you and I still don't know what you are talking about?" Zaria started walking away when she felt fingers wrap around her wrist. She looked up to find Ateel.

"Zaria I saw it," Ateel said in a small voice. "I saw you burn the boy. Let's just hear her out" Zaria was still reluctant. "I also want to know about my parents," Ateel added. Her voice shook as she spoke.

Zaria looked at Ateel and gave a small nod. This was the first time Ateel had asked something so she couldn't bring herself to reject her friend.

She walked to a corner and leaned on a wall as she waited.

The fortune-teller looked at Zaria and sighed.

"You will know about your origins when the time is right. So I will not tell you much about it. I will just tell you that you do not belong here and very soon you will have to go back to where you came from." she looked into a drawer as she spoke

"America?" Ateel asked expectantly.

"No" the fortune-teller shook her head "Everything will be revealed when the time is right. Just wait a bit longer. Now would you girls come closer? I need you to see something." Both the girls walked forward towards Miriam. Just then the woman pulled out a dagger and aimed it at Ateel.

At this moment it felt like a cord had snapped in Zaria. She caught hold of Miriam's throat in a swift motion. It was similar to the earlier case with the boy. The woman's skin blistered and the heat was increasing by every passing minute.

"Stop staring and call her back!!! At this rate, I might die. "Miriam yelled at Ateel.

By now Ateel had grown wary of the woman but she did not want Zaria to be branded as a murderer so she put a hand on Zaria's shoulder and called her in a soothing tone. "It's OK Zaria. I'm fine. Please let her go." Zaria came back to her senses and this time, she saw the thing she had done clearly but she wasn't sorry.

"You tried to hurt Ateel, and anyone who does that can't be left unharmed." She said.

"I wasn't trying to harm her." Miriam defended herself.

"Which sane person points a weapon at people without the intention to harm them or is that your unique way of saying hello?" Zaria glowered at Miriam.