Chapter 9 - Rightfully Yours

Months passed.

“June 6, 2014”

“It’s been a few months ever since you faded through the gaps in my fingers Leon. Why didn’t you tell me all this? Why did you keep it all to yourself, the millenniums of loneliness you’ve gone through, all just to hold onto a chance that you might meet her again, someone you said that I look alike?”

“Why did you disappear so suddenly from me, so unfairly without giving me a chance to get to know you, to share the laughter and tears with you?”

“…..and to say……………I’m sorry…..”

“You only left me this journal, how do you expect me to continue to live in a world without you?”

Drops of tears dampens the page and smudges the ink.

Phoebe closes Leon’s journal.

She burry her face in her pillow, clenching her blanket.

Knock knock knock!

“Phoebe, are you alright?”

……

“I’ve cooked some food downstairs, do you want to join your father and I for breakfast?”

……

“Phoebe?”

“I don’t feel hungry mom….”

“….alright. I’ll leave some food in the microwave for you, If you feel hungry later, heat the food up and eat OK? Your dad and I need to go to the church later, will you be alright by yourself at home?”

“Yes mom…..thanks”.

Whisper whisper.

“She still doesn’t want to come out of her room?” Phoebe’s dad asked.

Phoebe’s mom shook her head. They walked downstairs.

Ring ring.

“Hello?”

“Phoebe….I’m sorry to trouble you in these times. The other photographers are overloaded with work and I’ve got this new client that wants some aerial photography today, would you be able to give us some help just for today?”

…..

“OK…..”

“Thank you so much Phoebe! We’re at the Skyline building rooftop, give me a call once you get here, we’ll come down and get you.”

Sounds of keys being picked up off a table.

Thud!

Mental image of Leon’s smiling face when he drove her home in his Lexus starts streaming into Phoebe’s brain.

“Does that mean you’re free tomorrow?”

….Red light…

“Maybe, what kind of date?”

Red light, red light, RED LIGHT!!!

Sound of car braking violently and coming to a stop. Car horn goes off.

“ARE YOU CRAZY WOMAN!? TRYING TO RUN ME OVER!?” a pedestrian starts to curse and swear at Phoebe, smacking the bonnet of her car.

“Sorry….” Phoebe apologised.

The angry pedestrian calmed down and moved on.

“Hello?”

“Alex, I’m here.”