Can You Love a Villain?

Now we have a very special submission from StonyRhodes 's daughter! Show this article a lot of love in the comment section below! We love encouraging writers from a young age and are incredibly happy to have given her a fun little Summer activity to do! 

"Disney lied to me... Not all villains are fat, ugly, or old. Some are beautiful, skinny, but cold."

Villains...

The antagonist of the story; the one's whose life goal is to rule the world; the ones who are constantly trying to kill or enslave the heroes who continuously save the lives of many; the ones who unintentionally, intentionally, take our hearts (not literally). Now, I know what you're thinking. Villains are evil, ruthless, barbaric people who only think about what they want. They will do anything to make it happen. How could you love one?

Well, to many people, a villain is an evil being. To others, they're simply misunderstood. For example, Loki Laufeyson is probably known as the person who killed 80 people in two days. Awful, right? Riii- No! If you look at Thor and Loki in the Marvel movies, Loki is constantly shunned for being a Frost Giant and living under his brother's shadow. Okay, it's obvious he is angry, but maybe it's also quite possible that Loki is hurting. Could his heart be broken? Perhaps even beyond repair? Maybe this is why Loki is so evil... at least in our eyes. Through his eyes, all he wants is attention. To be accepted, quite frankly. Because everyone willingly gives their attention to Thor, Loki steals it grudgingly.

What people don't realize is that while they "ooh" and "ahh" over Thor, they do the same over Loki unknowingly. An example would be when we saw Loki kill Agent Coulson in The Avengers. As a matter of fact, just thinking about it makes me say "oooh." Need another example? Do you guys remember when Loki "died" in Thor: the Dark World? Yeah, well, spoilers. He didn't. At the end, it is shown that he was stabbed by the weird looking thing, and he supposedly died. At the very, very, very end (not the post-credit scene), it shows that Loki is in fact not dead. He took the persona of the All-Father, Odin. Strange? I know, right. I bet you even "oohed."

The question is what if one person gave Loki the attention everyone else gives Thor? Could you possibly mend a heart that seemingly could never be mended? More importantly, could the love you show help reveal the way to the "good side"? Have you ever considered that if they were raised differently none of this would have ever happened?

After reading multiple, and by multiple I mean 100+ fan-fictions, (yes, I actually have), I believe one could mend a heart that is broken, and it would be done with love. After all, love will and always has overpowered hate. All it takes is a matter of time!

The title of this article asks one simple question: Can You Love a Villain? I've given you all the reasons why I would say yes (even though it might prove to be a little difficult), but I believe that it depends on the person. So, now, the real question is can you?