Chapter 16

A Shattering Short Visit

I wake up the next morning to the sound of the doorbell. I wish mum never got that, its sound is so annoying.

Lucky we have another curriculum day today, because Liam and I must’ve fallen asleep watching movies last night.

I can hear mum answer the door so I close my eyes again.

“Just go on down” I hear mum say.

A few seconds later I hear footsteps and then my door opening.

I roll over and look up to see Andrew standing in my door way.

“Hey”, I smile at him drowsily, “I’ve been waiting for you to reply to my text, I’m so sorry I didn’t know, are you okay?” I gushed as fast as I could when drowsy.

 He just stood there with a stunned look on his face.

 “I’m fine, doesn’t matter” I saw his eyes drift to the other side of my bed as Liam sat up.

 “I don’t even know why I came here” he said as he rushed out of the house.

 I sprang out of bed after him. Yelling for him to wait. By the time id almost caught up to him he was out the front in his car and driving off. I stood in the street in my pj’s and no shoes, as if waiting for him to turn around and come back.

 Alanis came out of her front door.

 “Em! What’s going on?! Some people are trying to sleep you know!?”

 Tears began to fill my eyes.

 “I think Andrew hates me”

 Alanis and I went inside and sat on the couch, she put her arm round me in comfort. I told her about what had happened to Ashlee and the message that I sent to him at work.

 “I feel awful”

 “It’s not your fault, he’s probably not even angry”

 “He probably thought he was ready to talk but realised he wasn’t.” She continued, hugging me tighter.

 Liam walked out from the hallway. Scratching his bed hair groggily.

 “Em, what’s going on?”

 Alanis looked up in surprise at the sound of Liam’s voice. From the corner of my eye I could see her looking him up and down. I think she may have realised that he’d stayed the night.

 “I’d like to know that too.” She abruptly let go of me and got up.

 “No wonder Andrew left in hurry” she growled and stormed out the door.

 I sat there for a few seconds, my face blank, trying to work out why Alanis cracked it.

 It suddenly hit me.

 “Liam this is all your fault!” I yelled at him. Throwing mums cushions from the couch at his face.

 He blocked the impact with his arms.

 “What are you talking about?” he asked while recovering from the shock of me attacking him.

 “And why did Alanis just crack the shits?”

 “She thinks were together, and so does Andrew!” I paused while getting up off the couch. I can’t even believe either of them would think that. Especially not Alanis!

 “What?! That’s ridiculous!” exclaimed Liam in disgust.

 “Well we know that! But they don’t! I told you she liked you back! Otherwise she wouldn’t react this way!” I shouted at him again.

 “Okay you can lower your voice. Andrew can’t hear you, and the rest of the neighbourhood doesn’t want to know.”

 I rolled my eyes at him and walked past him out the front door. I heard footsteps behind me.

 “STAY THERE!” I yelled to Liam “I’ll sort this out”

 I stormed to Alanis’ front door and knocked roughly on the door. There was no answer, so I knocked again.

 Still no answer, I was getting extremely impatient and decided I would just keep continually knocking.

 Sharon answered the door.

 “She doesn’t want to see you Emilee” her face looked disappointed in me. Alanis had obviously given her a brief outline of what she’d seen.

 “Sharon you don’t understand! You have to let me talk to Alanis!”

 “I can’t do that hunny, she told me not to let you in” she pushed the door toward me, I hadn’t even realised id started trying to push my way through.

 “But Nothing’s happening between me and Liam! I swear!”

 “It’s got nothing to do with me, you can discuss it with Alanis when you have both calmed down, no point ruining your friendship while you’re both angry” How was she being so calm? I could feel my temper rising, she was right. I ran back home, through the front door. Liam was sitting on the couch and jumped up at my entrance.

 “Did you fix it? Does she know we’re not together?”

 “She won’t see me, Sharon won’t let me in, I’ll try again later” I said in dismay.

 “you need to leave Liam”

 “You’re right” he sighed.

What am I going to do?